The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Law (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/)
-   -   Can I be sued for this? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/can-i-sued-156075/)

PalominoOwner 03-11-2013 01:03 PM

Can I be sued for this?

Ok so i was training a horse for hunter over fences and after i finished training the horse and the owner started riding again the horse bucked her off breaking her owners arm. I never had any issues regarding the horses behavior. He was an angel for me. Now the lady is threating to sue me for neglegence saying i knew there was an issue and i didn't inform her that he bucked. Can she sue me? Would it be better just to try to settle if she does sue me?

Critter sitter 03-11-2013 01:05 PM

what was your contract like? I highly doubt they can sue.

Speed Racer 03-11-2013 01:10 PM

If you offer to settle, you're admitting guilt.

I don't see where she has a case, but anyone can sue for anything in the US. Doesn't mean they'll win.

PalominoOwner 03-11-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Critter sitter (Post 1932795)
what was your contract like? I highly doubt they can sue.

i dont think it specifies

BornToRun 03-11-2013 01:24 PM

It doesn't sound like she has a case. If your contract doesn't specify, then unfortunately for this woman she'll just have to live with a broken arm.

PaintHorseMares 03-11-2013 01:30 PM

If she is threatening to sue, contact your insurance company and have no further conversation with her...and do not discuss any details on a public forum like this.
Posted via Mobile Device

DancingArabian 03-11-2013 01:30 PM

Horses are unpredictable animals. She would have to find proof that you knew the horse bucked.
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelracingArabian 03-11-2013 01:35 PM

I doubt it horses have their own minds and it is her horse.

Dustbunny 03-11-2013 01:37 PM

I guess she could.
I hate this sort of crap! How can someone be responsible for another's actions or lack of talent when you have no control over the situation?
If you are really worried I'd have as brief a conversation as possible with an attorney (billable minutes, you know). And do not offer anything to her...no settlement. Hopefully this will just go away although she will probably be shooting off her mouth about you for years...at which point you may be able to sue her for damaging your business. : )

Critter sitter 03-11-2013 01:38 PM

if she could sue you for that than you could sue her if you were hurt while training her horse.. I really think she has no case But hey you can Sue over anything!