The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   So Proud (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/so-proud-156079/)

fkonidaris 03-11-2013 02:05 PM

So Proud

1 Attachment(s)
So, my paint mare is 8 yrs old and I've had her for a little over a year. She's been spooky, nervous, flighty, and stubborn. She was abused in the past, but we've made HUGE strides!

Anyways, I tried taking her trail riding in December on the property where I board. There's 85 acres of trails on property and about 200+ acres of trails off property, but connected. She started getting nervous and spooky and we ended up heading back to the barn.

So, yesterday it was a beautiful day here and we decided to try to head out again. I was with some friends riding and we went off property (a first for my mare and me). She did great!!! She was calm and seemed to really enjoy the nice change of pace after all the arena work we've been doing. We rode for about 2.5-3 hrs (which is a long ride for us). She crossed the creeks, went over the fallen trees, up and down some of the really steep hills, and all over and didn't spook once! I'm so proud of her and how far she's come! It was such an awesome ride yesterday!

Horsequeen08 03-12-2013 04:19 PM

OMG ME TOO!!!! I just took my girl out on the trail for the very first time on Sunday. I had NO idea what to expect. She was generally not spooky, but she is more of a show/arena horse. I didn't know what to think of taking her out. I went out with one of my friends and one of her buddies. She didn't spook at a single! thing! I'm so proud! We went past cars, tractors, screaming kids, other stranger horses, birds, jack rabbits that jumped out of no where. All she did was prick her ears, look, and keep going. It was one of the best rides. She gets bored easily. But out there, like your horse, she really seemed to enjoy the trails! I plan on going out again very soon. Maybe even trailer out.

Congrats with your horse ,i know exactly! how you are feeling! :D

FlyGap 03-12-2013 04:37 PM

28 Attachment(s)
Congratulations! Kuddos on all the hard work and determination!
You will see a lot of posts about training trail horses and people suggesting taking out a spooky horse with some trail masters, works wonders!

Maybe she is a bit herd bound/barn sour also? Next time you go out alone I'll be curious to see what she does. If she starts acting up wonky keep pushing her forward. Go go go until she relaxes, then head home. Or if things escalate out of control take her home and work her butt off. I'm sure with all your hard work it won't be long till you have a great horse! Congrats again!!! Those are the BEST days! Love Love the ear shot!!!!