The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Looking for some insight on what might have happend to my gelding's hoof (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/looking-some-insight-what-might-have-156085/)

JustWingIt 03-11-2013 03:00 PM

Looking for some insight on what might have happend to my gelding's hoof

So just a little background: my gelding has been out of commission for 5 or 6 weeks. First he had a sore back and it took 3ish weeks to get the chiro out because we had the wrong number. Then he got an access on his back left hoof which took another week and a half to drain and do okay.

Fast forward to Monday, the farrier comes out to re shoe him. I go out that night and he's lame in his left front. BO thinks it might be a hot nail, so farrier comes out Tuesday to pull any suspicious nails and redo them. He told us there was only one that might be likely to be hot but he didn't get a huge reaction from my gelding when tapping the nails. So on Thursday I go out to ride and he's still lame, so we called the farrier to see if this is normal, farrier says no he should be fine. Last night farrier came out to the barn and pulled shoe off of left front and use hoof testers. Gelding was just generally ouchy all over the hoof so farriers theory is this:

Its winter here in Maine so all horses have rubber 'rim pads' in their shoes to prevent snowballs from forming and to give a little traction. Farrier thinks something got caught under pad like a pebble and just cause a sort of bruise and for him to be generally ouchy.

So he put a new shoe on and a squishy pad in to absorb shock and help him be a little more comfortable. Said gelding should be sound in the next couple of days and if not to call him.

We don't think it's an access because he only showed really bad lameness at the trot, walking away from farrier the second time he was fine. Did not notice lameness until I started to work him.

Bearing in mind that this is my first horse and I do not know a whole lot about hoofs, I have a few questions:

Does the farriers theory make sense?
Does it make sense for it not to be an abscess?
Should he be sound in the next couple of days?
Does any other problem sound likely?

Sort of just looking for opinions on the whole thing, as well.

Also, I'm on my phone so I had to be a bit concise, I can elaborate if needed
Posted via Mobile Device

princessfluffybritches 03-11-2013 03:04 PM

xrays. I would not spend any time guessing on this. And you will also have a copy (baseline) established with xrays as well.

loosie 03-12-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustWingIt (Post 1932990)
Does the farriers theory make sense?
Does it make sense for it not to be an abscess?
Should he be sound in the next couple of days?
Does any other problem sound likely?

Quite possibly to all the above! If you post some pictures(see signature below for what's needed) & more info, we may be able to give you more specific possibilities.:wink:

lightning 03-22-2013 07:27 PM

My mare had a hoof abscess recently and she was never lame from it. In fact I thought she was showing neurologic signs, but not lameness. She also had colic as well. I had the vet out as an emergency and it took her a while to decide to check the hooves. So, just thought I would throw that out there.
Hope you figure out what is going on with your horse soon.

Shropshirerosie 03-22-2013 10:23 PM

Does the farriers theory make sense? yes, absolutely
Does it make sense for it not to be an abscess? it may turn into an abscess, or it may not
Should he be sound in the next couple of days? hopefully. But if horses came with crystal balls, our lives would be a lot easier!
Does any other problem sound likely? mmm the million dollar question. I'd go with the current theory, watch and feel it closely, and cross may fingers if it was me