The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Cavallo simple boot or Easyboot trail?! (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/cavallo-simple-boot-easyboot-trail-156098/)

ThatAppy 03-11-2013 04:55 PM

Cavallo simple boot or Easyboot trail?!

Hay guys!
I was looking into getting some hoof boots for my gelding- he's barefoot right now. I really wanted to get something that would prevent his hooves from cracking and chipping, and I'm not really interested in shoeing him since his hooves are fine when he's on pasture.
Ive spent quite some time looking at reviews for both the cavallo simple and easyboot trail, but I'm honestly too indecisive to make a decision ;) I really don't have a fortune to invest in a pair of boots right now, especially since I'll only be using them for 1-2 hours (or less) on trails in the summer.
I would really like to know how these hold up with loping and galloping, on dirt roads, and in water. Did any of you have any problems with rubbing or fit? I know that I should get him measured after his hooves are trimmed- I'll get my farrier to help me with this next time he comes. This will be my first pair of boots (and my horse's too!) so I'm pretty clueless! :P Also, Im not sure if this will make a difference or not, but my boy's hooves grow very quick! The description for the Trail's said they were good for horses through all stages in the hoof cycle?
Any help or advice you have will be much appreciated!
Posted via Mobile Device

gunslinger 03-11-2013 05:00 PM

I don't have any experience with either of the boots you mentioned, but have used the Easy boot Epics over 500 miles. They've come off twice, both times at a gallop.

I've got my mare in a pair of Renegades right now and have yet to have them come off...they're some where around 280 miles or so....

Lockwood 03-11-2013 05:37 PM

Welsome to HF ThatAppy! :wave:
You will get some good replies here, but if you do a search (near the top right side of the screen between New Posts and Quick Links) there are quite a few good threads debating these boots with excellent info.

I went through the same exercise with my gelding last summer and researched both boots in depth. I also poked around on their sites to download info about them, how to measure properly, watched videos, etc....
And I searched other sites (mostly by barefoot trimmers) on the pros and cons of each boot.

One of the deciding factors for my boy, was that his front hooves are two different sizes. I had my farrier double ckeck my measurements just to be sure.
The Cavallos come as a same sized pair, but the Trails allow you to order (from them or other horse supply places) each boot size that you need.
Also, the hoof shape can come into play with different boots. For example, is the hoof more round/dinner plate shape, or is it oval and more typical shaped?
Anyway, just some more things to consider and I bet some of our hoof members will chime in. :-)

ThatAppy 03-11-2013 07:33 PM

Thanks for the input guys! I will defiantly try the search option! I would probably consider Drift's hooves to be more oval shaped then circular. There's so much to consider! I'll keep on researching for now! Thanks again guys!
Posted via Mobile Device

loosie 03-12-2013 03:33 AM

Welcome!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatAppy (Post 1933208)
I was looking into getting some hoof boots for my gelding- he's barefoot right now. I really wanted to get something that would prevent his hooves from cracking and chipping,

Hoof boots can be a great investment but they ain't going to stop cracking. That happens when hooves become overlong &/or separated & infected. If your horse's hooves crack &/or flare, more frequent & well balanced trims would be the first & major thing I'd think is needed. Likewise generally with chipping too. If the horse is well trimmed, that's not likely to be an issue.

Quote:

since I'll only be using them for 1-2 hours (or less) on trails in the summer.
I would really like to know how these hold up with loping and galloping, on dirt roads, and in water. Did any of you have any problems with rubbing or fit?
Really, the best boot for your horse is the type that fit him & suit him best. So I'd measure him up first for a start - you may find that one of those types(or both) aren't appropriate for your horse anyway. Cavellos are a slightly wider boot. Depending on the shape of the hooves, this can sometimes cause them to be unstable. They're marginally firmer in the back section, which can make rubbing more of an issue with some horses & hoof confos(eg. IME not the best on low heeled horses.). I also think the tread is better on the Trails.

Assuming the boots fit well, they should all hold up to normal riding & going through water, etc. Deep mud, ice, jumping & such can be a challenge for most boots. If you're going to be doing any hard/long riding, I would also choose a low profile type like Epics, rather than the ones that fit around the pastern.

If you're new to boots I would seriously recommend using a boot fitter, or a trimmer with a lot of experience with boots, which may mean your existing farrier is not the best person for that.