The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Leg Protection in the Summer? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/leg-protection-summer-156099/)

BigBenLoverforLife 03-11-2013 04:55 PM

Leg Protection in the Summer?

Hello! I use the SMB Elite on the back legs and the SMB Ventech Elite boots on the front legs, my only problem is with the Ventechs they seam to hold to much heat when it gets above 65 degrees. The Elites do better with their breathablity but not much. I barrel race so leg protection is a must. He also must wear back boots due to knocking and since he was a reininer when you ask him to stop he sometimes will slide and has gotten sand burns and I dont want it to happen again. Anyway my point is I need to find a boot that breaths well. How do the Classic Equines do? I have also looked at the Peg. Air boots but they seam to go down to far and will interfere with movement. I am not against polo wraps, I have them and know how to properly wrap them, they are just a pain, so do they breathe well? I hope someone can help me! :)

beau159 03-11-2013 05:08 PM

If you read the package insert on the SMB boots or the Classic Equine boots (or honestly just about any boot), it says that you should never have the boots on for more than 2 hours because they do trap heat around the legs.

I'm not even convinced that the Air Boots breathe enough to not have to take them off either. I've never seen them in person, but looking at photos, the material that is in contact with the legs is NOT vented on the inside.

Polo wraps (in my opinion) will breathe better than a sport boot because they aren't made of neoprene. Do they breathe well enough to not have to take them off? I don't know about that.

To keep things simple, just don't put on your horse's leg protection until you are ready to run. Then it minimizes the time the boots are on.

BigBenLoverforLife 03-11-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beau159 (Post 1933227)
If you read the package insert on the SMB boots or the Classic Equine boots (or honestly just about any boot), it says that you should never have the boots on for more than 2 hours because they do trap heat around the legs.

I'm not even convinced that the Air Boots breathe enough to not have to take them off either. I've never seen them in person, but looking at photos, the material that is in contact with the legs is NOT vented on the inside.

Polo wraps (in my opinion) will breathe better than a sport boot because they aren't made of neoprene. Do they breathe well enough to not have to take them off? I don't know about that.

To keep things simple, just don't put on your horse's leg protection until you are ready to run. Then it minimizes the time the boots are on.

Thanks! I know about the SMB not being left on for more than 2 hours, I think the Ventechs say 4 though? I should have made it clearer they are only going on when I ride, which is less than an hour at a time....

jaydee 03-11-2013 05:50 PM

I've had the Pegasus boots on for long trail rides with no sweaty legs but as they only come in one size they arent going to work for you by the sound of it
Polo wraps are a pain to put on but might be the best option other than some of the lined open fronted boots maybe

franknbeans 03-11-2013 06:06 PM

I have the Pegasus Airboots and I really like them, but I have not noticed a HUGE difference in the heat trapped, or the sand that gets in, which I also hate. I also don;t think they give as much support os some of the others, but they sure are easy to use, and will protect frm dings and sand burns. In fact, when I bought them at RTTH a couple of years ago, the rep told me they were looking at making some with skid plates on them for reiners. ;-)