The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   Colour Changing? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/colour-changing-156109/)

Ash27 03-11-2013 07:10 PM

Colour Changing?

Hey Guys & Girls. Just wondering what peoples ideas are on trying to darken your horse and what good things to use. I have a chestnut mare, Shes your usual plain chestnut (Take a look at the photos in my barn) But i would quite like to darken her up and get some shine to her coat. Not 100% sure what i could do or use though! :-|
Any Ideas? :D

franknbeans 03-11-2013 07:17 PM

You can't darken a chesnut that I know of-but you can prevent sun fading to keep her as dark as possible=out at might in the summer, and in during the day.

DraftyAiresMum 03-11-2013 07:28 PM

What is with the rash of people on here (okay, two lol) who aren't happy with their horse's color or markings and want to change them?! Honest to goodness question, not being mean!

Heck, I don't know...do chestnuts even sun-fade? I haven't seen any that have, but I guess they could.

To add shine to a coat (and repel flies rather well), I wash my horse with Orvus and rinse the shampoo out like normal, and then do an apple cider vinegar rinse afterward. One cup of apple cider vinegar in a 2gal bucket, then fill the rest of the way with water. Dump evenly over the horse (refilling the bucket as necessary with the vinegar/water mix) and sponge onto the face and anywhere you missed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cweaver 03-17-2013 01:32 AM

I have a sorrel mare who I put on Omega HorseShine last summer and wow did it make a difference! I wasn't even expecting her coat to change it was just for her health mostly but she got very dark and started getting DAPPLES. I was amazed. I sound like a walking advertisement haha:) but really, it works. And its great for them all around as well

oh vair oh 03-17-2013 07:39 PM

I personally wouldn't recommend doing this, but many people do.