The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Can i soak it? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/can-i-soak-156123/)

Animallover707 03-11-2013 10:29 PM

Can i soak it?
 
Ok so i wasnt happy with my feed at the local feed store, it turned out to be CRAP. So i switched to strategy. I went to walmart today(horrid 3 hour drive) I got like 6 bags. im wondering can i soak it with water? i prefer to soak my feed but wasnt sure about this. Thanks!

alexischristina 03-11-2013 10:36 PM

Read the bag. If it directs you to soak it, then soak it. If it doesn't, don't.

Animallover707 03-11-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexischristina (Post 1933659)
Read the bag. If it directs you to soak it, then soak it. If it doesn't, don't.

It doesnt say wether i can or not. i like to soak it so my horse cant find the suppliments and pick them out lol.

deserthorsewoman 03-11-2013 10:46 PM

I have about 120 feet to walk between feedroom and horses, and when I pour a little water over the Strategy by the time I arrive at the horses it has already fallen apart. So soaking in it's true sense is not necessary, wetting it down is just fine:-)

alexischristina 03-11-2013 10:46 PM

If it doesn't say to soak it, then it is not a feed that needs soaking. I'm not familiar with strategy, but I assume it isn't something that will expand when soaked, and will thus just be grain + water, wont hide anything and your horses may not want to eat it. Your best bet for supplements is to get something that is meant to be soaked, or even add it to an oil, or blend some carrot / apple and add it to that.

Delfina 03-11-2013 10:47 PM

Yes, you can soak Strategy. It won't cause any harm to it and if your horse isn't a great drinker, get more water into him.

I wasn't aware Walmart sold Strategy.

JaphyJaphy 03-11-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Animallover707 (Post 1933669)
It doesnt say wether i can or not. i like to soak it so my horse cant find the suppliments and pick them out lol.

Just curious: do you mean soaking prevents your horse from picking out supplements you've added to the feed?

clippityclop 03-11-2013 10:49 PM

Strategy will turn to dust if soaked - it won't expand - been there. But you can put your supplement and carrot or apple slices in a blender and then mix it in your strategy and that might help!

Animallover707 03-11-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaphyJaphy (Post 1933686)
Just curious: do you mean soaking prevents your horse from picking out supplements you've added to the feed?

The suppliments i add stick to the feed and prevet the horse from attempting not to eat it. especially the powder kinds

Animallover707 03-11-2013 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delfina (Post 1933683)
Yes, you can soak Strategy. It won't cause any harm to it and if your horse isn't a great drinker, get more water into him.

I wasn't aware Walmart sold Strategy.

huh i have never seen it there before either til today ???


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0