The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Barrel Racing Question (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/barrel-racing-question-156145/)

PalominoBuck 03-12-2013 12:16 AM

Barrel Racing Question
 
I would like to learn to barrel race with my new QH, but someone told me that if you barrel race a horse that they will only want to run, then you can't trail ride or just pleasure ride. Is this true?

BarrelracingArabian 03-12-2013 12:21 AM

No you learn to balance take it slow and dont constantly run the pattern. In fact don't run it at all for awhile walk/jog till he/she has it down perfectly don't rush into speed that is how horses end up with no brains only wanting to run. Just keep things mixed up and get a good trainer. All of my trainers barrel horses double as amazing trail horses and 2 are even kids horses.

PalominoBuck 03-12-2013 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarrelracingArabian (Post 1933985)
No you learn to balance take it slow and dont constantly run the pattern. In fact don't run it at all for awhile walk/jog till he/she has it down perfectly don't rush into speed that is how horses end up with no brains only wanting to run. Just keep things mixed up and get a good trainer. All of my trainers barrel horses double as amazing trail horses and 2 are even kids horses.

Thank youBarrelracingArabian , my Dad used to barrel race and I would love to do it. I am 46, do you think that I am to old for it?:?

GamingGrrl 03-12-2013 01:04 AM

You're never too old for it! :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

PalominoBuck 03-12-2013 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GamingGrrl (Post 1934041)
You're never too old for it! :-)
Posted via Mobile Device


Cool. It looks like a great time.
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelracingArabian 03-12-2013 01:11 AM

Nope never too old :) . The best thing about it is if you just want to get into local stuff you dont have to go all out. I'm still after several years of horse issues trying to get really into it. :)

PalominoBuck 03-12-2013 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarrelracingArabian (Post 1934053)
Nope never too old :) . The best thing about it is if you just want to get into local stuff you dont have to go all out. I'm still after several years of horse issues trying to get really into it. :)

I would just do local stuff. I just want to have fun with my horse. Did you get a special trainer for barrel racing? How long did it take for your horse to learn it?
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelracingArabian 03-12-2013 01:24 AM

Well I havent had a set horse. Yes I have a trainer specifying in barrels, she has 4 barrel horses and one show/rope horse. I currently own one horse who is nowhere near ready to see barrels but am going to be running my trainers little back up grey gelding since we click really well. It depends on the horse really some grab onto barrels others you need to go much slower with. The buckskin i was working with latched onto barrels like no other but the arab gelding I was working with was much arder to get focused without losing his head due to previous bad training. Just don't try and push to hard to fast or you'll sour the horse before you get anywhere.

PalominoBuck 03-12-2013 01:29 AM

Thank you. By the way I love your saddle in your signature pic.

PalominoBuck 03-12-2013 01:33 AM

What is the difference between a barrel racing saddle and a western saddle?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0