The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Miniature Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/)
-   -   Possible buy of a herd dispersal (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/possible-buy-herd-dispersal-156148/)

caljane 03-12-2013 01:41 AM

Possible buy of a herd dispersal
 
6 Attachment(s)
Okay, I have to admit - I am around horses for over 30 years, but I have no clue about miniature horses. But I have the space and the setup and am contemplating to buy a little herd. These ponies would mostly be for my pleasure - caring, training, driving, loving. I am not into horse shows. Because, of course, I would like to raise some babies, I would be looking for healthy, well conformed, and registered Minis so not to add to whatever miserable horses are already around.

Now, I stumbled over an ad where they sell a herd of 4 (exposed) broodmares, 1 breeding stallion, 2 yearling fillies and one 2year old filly by the same stud, and two young stallions. All Mini's are registered with AMHR, they look well cared for and the seller says they have no laminitis.

My questions: hundreds! :wink:
But first - what would a group like this be worth (assuming they are registered but no big names - which I wouldn't even recognize which is why I didn't even ask).
Does something in the pictures stick out to the Mini-experts here?
What questions should I ask?

Thanks! :-)

LoveMyDrummerBoy 03-12-2013 01:44 AM

I have basically zero knowledge on any horse under about 12hh. :lol:

BUT, these guys look incredibly fat. And I also don't like the way that the babies feet look... Does any one else think so?

These guys are all really cute though!

caljane 03-12-2013 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveMyDrummerBoy (Post 1934017)
I have basically zero knowledge on any horse under about 12hh. :lol:

BUT, these guys look incredibly fat. And I also don't like the way that the babies feet look... Does any one else think so?

These guys are all really cute though!

Thanks for the quick reply! :-)

One of them seems overly fat, looks like they have free access to hay - that would be my next question: how many pounds of hay should they be allowed, in average?
I was wondering about the feet of the fillies too - this is one of the reasons why I am asking, maybe that's normal for mini foals?

alexischristina 03-12-2013 02:07 AM

Holy fatties! I never understood why so many miniatures were SO overweight. I kept mine on local hay and he remained at a healthy weight. That said, picture number 2 looks PREGGO not just fat.
I don't like the baby feet, but I know it's hard to find a good farrier for minis, likely even harder for the young ones being so tiny.

FeatheredFeet 03-12-2013 03:13 AM

They don't look too bad to me. I've seen a LOT worse. Some appear not fat, but pregnant. Impossible to tell quality on Minis with winter coats. Some feet are in need of attention.

Just know that Minis - even many with respected show careers, are being given away now. Nobody can sell them and thousands for sale and many ending up in auctions. Some were sold recently in an auction, for $2 each!

What are the bloodlines? Have any been shown? Have they been tested for LWO? Have any produced dwarfs?

How tall exactly are they? Some might be over Mini height.

Know that Minis take less food than most think. They should not be kept on pasture for over 2 hrs. per day. Dry lots are best. Never, ever, free feed Minis. Just like large horses, Mini Horses can be nasty and monsters, if not handled and trained.

Don't spoil with treats. Except for feeding and providing Mini-proof fencing, treat them just as large breed horses. Don't allow kids to ride them.

Don't keep them with large horses. It is usually not a safe thing to do. Some get away with it, but accidents to Minis happen easily.

Don't worm with Quest.

If the price is very reasonable, go for it. Many Mini breeders are selling entire herds right now. Most have few or no buyers.

Lizzie

franknbeans 03-12-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeatheredFeet (Post 1934101)
They don't look too bad to me. I've seen a LOT worse. Some appear not fat, but pregnant. Impossible to tell quality on Minis with winter coats. Some feet are in need of attention.

Just know that Minis - even many with respected show careers, are being given away now. Nobody can sell them and thousands for sale and many ending up in auctions. Some were sold recently in an auction, for $2 each!

What are the bloodlines? Have any been shown? Have they been tested for LWO? Have any produced dwarfs?

How tall exactly are they? Some might be over Mini height.

Know that Minis take less food than most think. They should not be kept on pasture for over 2 hrs. per day. Dry lots are best. Never, ever, free feed Minis. Just like large horses, Mini Horses can be nasty and monsters, if not handled and trained.

Don't spoil with treats. Except for feeding and providing Mini-proof fencing, treat them just as large breed horses. Don't allow kids to ride them.

Don't keep them with large horses. It is usually not a safe thing to do. Some get away with it, but accidents to Minis happen easily.

Don't worm with Quest.

If the price is very reasonable, go for it. Many Mini breeders are selling entire herds right now. Most have few or no buyers.

Lizzie

^^This. ten fold. In "miniproofing the fencing-make sure you have a low wire (like no more than 18" off the ground) that is hot, and put an extra latch on your gates (low). THey will slither through and get out-almost as much as goats. We only have one at our farm-and IMO they are more maintenance than the regular horses. The grooming is more extensive, they do get to be spoiled brats more easily, I think, and they founder really easily. While they are fun-they are a LOT of work.

caljane 03-12-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeatheredFeet (Post 1934101)
They don't look too bad to me. I've seen a LOT worse. Some appear not fat, but pregnant. Impossible to tell quality on Minis with winter coats. Some feet are in need of attention.

Just know that Minis - even many with respected show careers, are being given away now. Nobody can sell them and thousands for sale and many ending up in auctions. Some were sold recently in an auction, for $2 each!

What are the bloodlines? Have any been shown? Have they been tested for LWO? Have any produced dwarfs?

How tall exactly are they? Some might be over Mini height.

Know that Minis take less food than most think. They should not be kept on pasture for over 2 hrs. per day. Dry lots are best. Never, ever, free feed Minis. Just like large horses, Mini Horses can be nasty and monsters, if not handled and trained.

Don't spoil with treats. Except for feeding and providing Mini-proof fencing, treat them just as large breed horses. Don't allow kids to ride them.

Don't keep them with large horses. It is usually not a safe thing to do. Some get away with it, but accidents to Minis happen easily.

Don't worm with Quest.

If the price is very reasonable, go for it. Many Mini breeders are selling entire herds right now. Most have few or no buyers.

Lizzie

Thanks for all the information! :-)
Now - what price would you consider reasonable? As I said: assuming registered but no special show lines.
I thought a Mini, to be registered, can't be above a certain hight?
I, too, thought that the Minis are fat, but except the bay mare not exceptinal obese assuming they are pregnant.
As I said: I do have the setup to house Minis (small pasture that never has any grass to speak of, corrals with low fence and grass hay from own production). As for feeding: I estimate the weight of a Mini about 300lbs (please correct me if I am wrong), which would calculate to about 5 to 7 lbs of hay/day? No grain, of course, what about supplements for breeding stock? Protein blocks or such allowed?

GoGoJoeGranny 03-13-2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caljane (Post 1934308)
Thanks for all the information! :-)
Now - what price would you consider reasonable? As I said: assuming registered but no special show lines.
I thought a Mini, to be registered, can't be above a certain hight?
I, too, thought that the Minis are fat, but except the bay mare not exceptinal obese assuming they are pregnant.
As I said: I do have the setup to house Minis (small pasture that never has any grass to speak of, corrals with low fence and grass hay from own production). As for feeding: I estimate the weight of a Mini about 300lbs (please correct me if I am wrong), which would calculate to about 5 to 7 lbs of hay/day? No grain, of course, what about supplements for breeding stock? Protein blocks or such allowed?

AMHA registers only Miniature Horses under 34 inches, the AMHR has two divisions; the “under” Miniatures are under 34 inches and “over” division Miniatures can be 34 to 38 inches. We just took ours to the vet yesterday to be gelded, her first comment was about his weight. He is not fat at all, and she was impressed, saying about the same, "you don't normally see them this healthy, they are usually much fatter!" He weighs 300 pounds, we give him 2 cups of Purina's Mini Horse & Pony feed in the winter once daily, keep coastal Bermuda hay in the hay net (he probably eats maybe a flake a day) and let him graze grass in the warmer months cutting the feed back as needed. He is in GREAT shape. I wouldn't think all are so self -regulating as him, when we first brought him home in August, he was an eating machine. I made sure to only keep so much hay in the net, adjust the feed, and keep an eye on his grazing. He trimmed down nicely and seems to enjoy that weight as again he's not eating everything in sight anymore. For instance, I can put 3-4 flakes in the hay net and refill it a few days later when it's empty.
The kids give him treats, but he favors apples, won't eat carrots, and loves peppermints. The ones in the pic are either heavy or pregnant, but not much more than he was when we first brought him home.
We purchased him off Craigslist, they were asking $100 for him. When I said I'd go to the ATM and get $25 more, they took the $75 I had on me. I am unsure if he was ever registered, they were going through a divorce, he spoke about the classes and height requirements, said he knew the parents were but wasn't sure if "she" ever got the babies done. For $75 a cute mini for my son's 2nd birthday was enough (never called back about the paperwork, he's just a pet). As I say in many posts, he is nothing more than a big dog around here, matter of fact when I picked him up from the vet this afternoon it was the ONLY time I have seen him act like a horse! Guess he was mad about being gelded, as soon as I got him back into our yard, he was loving and "hugging" on us again :-)
They are a pleasure, but as another poster said, now that I have one I see them all the time for sale, trade, or please just come get this mini! Kind of sad, I would hope if they fall into a breeding program it's a positive one for these little guys. They are everywhere for nothing (another reason I went to see ours spur of the moment, was worried he'd become Fido's next meal at that price!)
Good luck and keep us updated :-)

Breezy2011 03-13-2013 01:00 AM

Depending on where you are, minis can be expensive. I am in Saskatchewan Canada, and just today I was looking on kijiji, and I came across AT LEAST 4 ads, different people selling registered, and non registered minis for over 1000 dollars, these minis were selling for 1500-3000 dollars a horse! So it all depends on where you are.

My2Geldings 05-11-2013 03:22 PM

I breed and showed miniatures and did a lot of competing in the pro championships for about 15 years, so I have some input I can list.

By looking at the photos, I really couldn't tell you what they might be worth. You would need to look up the lines, and give us some conformation after they've lost a 20lbs of hair. Conformation, lines, showing experience and how well they did, any known congenital problems, colors thrown from the stud/dam, height, markings.

Miniatures can go anywhere from a couple hundred to a few thousand. Regular spending of show miniatures usually starts around $1,500 all the way to the $3,500 range. Again could not tell you what those specific miniatures are worth.

Miniatures are phenomenal equines to have. The handling and training will be the same as training a full size horse. The vaccine, farrier schedule will also need to be followed. The only thing to keep in mind, is their feeding. They easily(as most ponies)gain weight and keep weight on, so you have to have some sort of routine where you limit how much grazing time they get, diet pen them and feed hay or get grazing muzzles.

They make great companion for full size horses-with proper introductions and making sure, just like full size horses-that you don't have personality clashes. They make fantastic mounts for young rider(to a max of 20% of mini's weight).

Minitures cannot be over 33 inches to qualify under the registry. There is a second registry you can apply for if they fall a bit taller that you can also register them under. As for how much to feed? it really depends on the miniatures you have. A single bale of hay during the winter months, will last you a few days.

Miniatures are phenomenal little creatures, and they are fun to train and work with.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0