The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   BLM Mustang 14yrs. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/blm-mustang-14yrs-156152/)

Brenna Lee 03-12-2013 01:36 AM

BLM Mustang 14yrs.

4 Attachment(s)
Hello! I would love to see your opinions on my boy, Hakkatan.
So far I see toed out in the front, a bit in the back, and he has a sloped croup. When in full work his rear gets larger. :)
I am attempting to train my eye so I might've missed quite a few things. XD ANY imput is greatly appreciated!!

EquineBovine 03-12-2013 02:58 AM

I'm no good at this but I think he is cute as :) and I love the tail bag hehe

SorrelHorse 03-12-2013 05:14 AM

Helpful hint: If you braid his tail then put it in the bag, you can thread the ties through the top of the braid and it will stay up higher and not be down so low. ;)

I think he's very cute. He's a nice looking mustang. Many I see aren't.

I'm not an expert on conformation but I'll try, I'm learning as well.

I like the angle of his shoulder. It's not too steep which I like. His whithers look high and he doesn't have much of a topline, but that will come with muscle. Also a little downhill but that's not a big deal. I like his butt, would love to see it when he is in prime condition because I bet he's a beef cake. His back legs look good to me, his front legs are pretty straight.

Overall I think he looks pretty sturdy.

Here's a pic of my mare wearing a bag. Her tail is braided in there and as you can see it's up high. The bag on your horse right now isn't going to do much and looks like it's falling out.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...34952930_n.jpg

Elana 03-12-2013 08:33 AM

You can see draft, barb and thoroughbred in this boy's background. He is a little down hill and a bit long over all. I would like him to be shorter coupled, but the draft horse is there. The withers and topline of the neck show some TB and the head some Barb although the dish in the face is not typical Barb. He has the draft bone. He toes out a little in front. He is body heavy but that is his build. His neck ties in to the chest at a good spot. His shoulder is steep.

Love his nice, strong feet. Looks like a lot of hoof wall which is excellent.

Nice horse. Love the seal brown color.

You know the draft horse came in from turning draft stallions in with the feral herd to breed the fast and quick barb out of the Indian ponies. That draft horse blood survives to this day.. but so does the other blood. Sometimes you can find a Feral Mustang that throws back to mostly Barb.. and they are not big but they are quick and close coupled.

Most, whether they have draft in them or not, are pretty good horses. Hardy. This horse looks like one of those to me. I like him.

Brenna Lee 03-14-2013 12:04 AM

SorrelHorse- Thanks for the input on the tail bag, I actually re-did it after the photos because it was falling out. And he is a beef cake when in full work! XD

Elana- Thanks, you are the first to point out barb that I've heard of. I'll look into the breed!

EquineBovine- Thanks!

SeaBreezy 03-18-2013 04:32 PM

What a gorgeous boy! I'm in love with his seal brown color :-) He looks like he's built real solid to me. He has a nice neck, his shoulder looks a bit upright but nothing too bad, and he has a deep heart girth and big bum. Definitely a nice looking mustang you got there, and I agree I can see the draft in him. So yeah, I think overall he's got a nice, solid build with no major faults. Beautiful!