The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trainers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trainers/)
-   -   David Lee Archer (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trainers/david-lee-archer-156156/)

EquineBovine 03-12-2013 03:56 AM

David Lee Archer

I really enjoy his videos and his ideas of keeping the horse moving and no nonsense way of doing things.
Has any one else watched him? :-)

jaydee 03-12-2013 02:39 PM

I find some of his videos quite interesting - like with all these 'trainers' I wouldnt agree with everything he says or does but he has a very practical no nonsense or frills approach.
He makes no pretence so what you see is what you get and I respect people for that.
He gets to deal with a lot of rescue horses that other people have messed up badly so its no surprise that he doesnt suffer fools very well

Deschutes 03-12-2013 02:51 PM

I like him also! He seems to use more traditional methods vs. CA and Natural Horsemanship. Such as one video I saw, he was using a lasso (?) Whilst lunging a horse who had pressure issues and would squeal and kick out a lot.

One thing I try to go by that he mentioned in his videos is "I hit him once. I don't need to hit him more than once because he gets the point" or something along those lines. Then he went along to say that people over do by whipping a nasty horse more than once.
Posted via Mobile Device

CowboyBob 03-12-2013 03:26 PM

I just looked him up on you tube, he will never make it big he is too real. I liked what I saw and will add him to my list.

Chevaux 03-12-2013 03:45 PM

I have watched quite a number of his videos on youtube. He calls 'em as he sees 'em but not in a mean way. He's provided me with quite a bit of useful information on training which is always good for me and frequently good for the horse:wink:. I do agree with Cowboy Bob - he'll probably never be extremely famous because he's a horseman and not a showman.

jaydee 03-12-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deschutes (Post 1934616)
I like him also! He seems to use more traditional methods vs. CA and Natural Horsemanship. Such as one video I saw, he was using a lasso (?) Whilst lunging a horse who had pressure issues and would squeal and kick out a lot.

One thing I try to go by that he mentioned in his videos is "I hit him once. I don't need to hit him more than once because he gets the point" or something along those lines. Then he went along to say that people over do by whipping a nasty horse more than once.
Posted via Mobile Device

I heard something like that and its what was told to me a long time before Youtube introduced all these people to us by a very good horseman who I admired a lot. He also told me that it was important to recognise why horses misbehave to need that sort of treatment - hitting a horse thats been abused enough to become defensive is not a good idea
I've had two horses - one that I still own - that have needed it to the point that both were one step away from a slaughter yard. They both got hit once really hard and never needed it again - for my old mare that was now 19 years ago and she has never put a foot wrong since even though we do bitch at each other occasionally!!!

EquineBovine 03-12-2013 05:48 PM

That's just it. He is so real and down to earth I just love it. I agree with not taking everything someone says as gospel but I really like his way of getting things done. He can be a bit brash, like on the subject of people pampering their ponies, but it is the truth.
I've added him on Facebook too and he has a page there also, True to horse horsemenship i think think it's called. He comes up with some good, recent videos.
Also, I love his stud Brave Eagel :shock: Very nommy pony right there!

Saddlebag 03-12-2013 06:06 PM

Some of his videos have trouble with the wind which drowns out his voice. He's not slick, just a good, down to earth trainer who doesn't put up with b.s.

jaydee 03-12-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1934911)
Some of his videos have trouble with the wind which drowns out his voice. He's not slick, just a good, down to earth trainer who doesn't put up with b.s.

It is a shame about the wind noise on some of them but you can get past that
I can deal with his sort of not putting up with b.s as its not 'for the sake of it' or sexist and personal

Deschutes 03-12-2013 07:20 PM

I need to look at more of his videos. I always try hunting some of his down when I'm wanting to try new things to practice with, or have a sticky problem with one of the horses that I want to try to fix.
Posted via Mobile Device