The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Cream gene horses... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/cream-gene-horses-156184/)

Breezy2011 03-12-2013 02:09 PM

Cream gene horses...

Okay, so this question just popped into my mind and has got me really wanting to know the answer to.

We all know all colours originate from Black and Brown. We also know that you need 2 cream genes to get a cremello, or 1 cream gene to get a palomino, or another colour like that... Am I right?

Well... so my question is, how did the first cremello get produced? How did the first palomino, or any other horse with a cream gene. True Black and brown horses don't have a cream gene, so how did the cream gene come to be?

If anyone can answer this, please answer it!

nrhareiner 03-12-2013 02:16 PM

Just like anything. It would be a mutation.

Cat 03-12-2013 02:17 PM

And a small correction - horses come in base color of black or red (chestnut). Brown is a black-based horse with a modifier acting upon it.

Breezy2011 03-12-2013 02:17 PM

So... there would be a chance of a horse with no cream gene, producing a cream gene foal? Like 2 black horses producing a palomino?

NdAppy 03-12-2013 02:18 PM

:lol: Base colors are red and black not black and brown. Every color we have in horses is a modification of either the black base or the red base.

Simple answer? A mutation of the gene somewhere a long the line in breeding. Just like HYPP is a mutation of a gene that we happen to be able to trace back to where that mutation occurred. there is no way to trace where the various coat variations started.

Breezy2011 03-12-2013 02:21 PM

Okay... but when you said along the line in breeding... I am talking about when horses first came to be (a very long time ago) and the very first cream gene horse? Where did the cream gene come from? did it just pop up from nowhere.

I know this question might sound stupid, but I am just curious.

Spotted 03-12-2013 02:22 PM

Horse Testing - Equine Genetic Testing
Hopefully this will help you out a bit with colors

NdAppy 03-12-2013 02:22 PM

It's a mutation. Some where along the line a gene mutated causing the "cream gene"

so yes essentially it did "pop up out of nowhere"

No, two non cream parents cannot produce a cream carrying foal.

Breezy2011 03-12-2013 02:25 PM

Okay, thank you.

nrhareiner 03-12-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NdAppy (Post 1934659)
No, two non cream parents cannot produce a cream carrying foal.

While we may never see it, theoretically it could happen. Just like it did the first time. If the mutation where to happen again. Since we have not seen it shows that it was not a simple mutation but probable a more complex one that required a very specific set of things to happen and the chances of that happening again would be next to nill.