The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Stallions and Broodmares (http://www.horseforum.com/stallions-broodmares/)
-   -   To breed or sell halter broodmare??? (http://www.horseforum.com/stallions-broodmares/breed-sell-halter-broodmare-156192/)

RS2011 03-12-2013 04:07 PM

To breed or sell halter broodmare???

Hello,
OK, my step mom owns 2000 APHA breeding stock mare that she has been thinking about selling because she just doesn't have the time to breed her and raise/show a faol anymore. I am thinking of leasing the mare from her if she doesn't sell in the next 2 months. (Price is set at $1700 if interested) I'm just not sure on a stallion to cross with her and was hoping for some help.

Like I said she is breeding stock, no white other than a blaze and one sock
sire is: Decisive (Skip Impressive x Sonnys Lucky Doll)
dam is: Little Bit of Clue (Kid Clu x Indian Summer TE)

She is not the Hulk on 4 toothpicks like alot of halter horses but she does have alot of muscling compaired to my other horses. Her legs fit her body and also have extra muscling as well. she also has a higher wither set than most.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 03-12-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RS2011 (Post 1934800)
Hello,
OK, my step mom owns 2000 APHA breeding stock mare that she has been thinking about selling because she just doesn't have the time to breed her and raise/show a faol anymore. I am thinking of leasing the mare from her if she doesn't sell in the next 2 months. (Price is set at $1700 if interested) I'm just not sure on a stallion to cross with her and was hoping for some help.

Like I said she is breeding stock, no white other than a blaze and one sock
sire is: Decisive (Skip Impressive x Sonnys Lucky Doll)
dam is: Little Bit of Clue (Kid Clu x Indian Summer TE)

She is not the Hulk on 4 toothpicks like alot of halter horses but she does have alot of muscling compaired to my other horses. Her legs fit her body and also have extra muscling as well. she also has a higher wither set than most.

Do you have OLWS and HYPP test results on this mare? Without them, and considering her breeding, I wouldn't even think of breeding her. If she's clear of both, then I'd look for a homozygous tobiano paint stallion, so that hopefully you'll get some color.

Also, don't know where you're located, but around here you might get $700 for Breed Stock Paint, you wouldn't even come close to $1700, unless she was under saddle also and had some ROM points. Just something to consider.

SunnyDraco 03-12-2013 10:28 PM

OLWS isn't a horrible gene to carry as long as the stallion was tested negative for OLWS. But HYPP is a definite no for breeding, that is a possible time bomb even as a single carrier. Also, look past any stallion that is a HYPP carrier or has the stallion Impressive in their pedigree and has not been tested.

As far as best stallion match, conformation shots would be needed to find a stallion that compliments her the best. Also, what would you be breeding for? What would are your plans for what the foal would be bred to do?

RS2011 03-13-2013 01:22 AM

I am looking to breed her to a N/N APHA halter stallion to get a halter baby. She is a color producer so I'm not worried about finding a homozygous paint stallion, but I would like to breed to a loud colored one. She has some points but was injured on her nose when she was younger and was takin out of the show ring, she now has a cut/scar on the fold of her nostril and was put out to be a broodmare. (its only about 2inches but enough to get her out of the ring) She has also produced a world champion halter foal and other top showing ones. We have rode her bareback a couple of times and she has rocking chair canter that surprised me. (was expecting a not so cumfy canter) I am located in south central Illinois and I'm not the one that set the 1700 price tag. I am going to try and get a good picture of her to put on here the only one I have at the moment is a head shot. I do have a pic of her 1 1/2 year old filly that is built almost just like her, a little lighter in muscle(to be expected with her young age) and the filly has the low/flat withers of the halter horse.

NdAppy 03-13-2013 04:12 PM

So do you know if Decisively a Kid Paint is N/H or not?

WSArabians 03-13-2013 04:24 PM

Agreed. Wouldn't even consider it without a HYPP status, irregardless of what she's produced previously. But I'm guessing she was tested prior to previous breedings..?