The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   eeek puddles......... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/eeek-puddles-1562/)

KANSAS_TWISTER 04-16-2007 07:07 PM

eeek puddles.........

after our freek snow storm we had on friday..it's about 70 outside now on monday and every thing is muddy or under water includding some parts of my paddocks....really nice day to take abby out for a walk......abby enjoyed her walk untill she came upond a puddle and stop...she refused to go any further unless it was around it....i'm trying to teach her to go through any thing and she normaly does but today she wasn't going to do it..... i tried working with her for about 30 mins running through the puddle myself and looking like a idoit trying to coax her through she still would not go through it but side steped around it....even took a long lead and did the basic halter training methoid with her but that did not work....so i gave up and walked her back to her paddock and turned her loose and started to walk back to the house when only to hear her sloping through the muddy water to get to water tank...... :twisted:....why will she do that along but will refuse with me???

Friesian Mirror 04-16-2007 07:41 PM

Thats what Rose does!! I don't know if she will do it alone or not.....

Robyn-Niagara 04-17-2007 04:11 AM

try riding through, thats what happened with "crystal" a little riding school pony i once used to ride, she would ( with a light squeeze) walk through the puddle with a rider but when i led her she wouldn't go near it!!! what you could do is rider her through the puddle several times until she walks through happily, and dismount and lead her through, several times a day for a few days and there you are, problem solved!!

Backyard Rider 04-17-2007 09:52 AM

Do you own any more horses or have a friend with a horse? If you do, you could get a friend to ride through the puddle on a steady and experienced horse, then your mare should come to a desision that it's not dangerous and she would follow.

Desert Rat 04-17-2007 03:02 PM

I had a mare like that once that would not go through mud puddles but she would wade a river or stream belly deep. I finnaly figured it out that the reason was she could not see the bottom. We widend out several trails where the puddles were in them. I figured it was easier to let her take the high side on a narrow trail then to fight her to go through them and a lot safer when there was a 200' drop off the low side.

Friesian Mirror 04-17-2007 06:25 PM

Rose is only 11 months old, I think that's some of it, she's a baby and she doesn't know it wont hurt her. Kristy has helped me alot and I thought she was getting better, but it rained a day or two ago and we have puddles again, but she won't go near them now....I'll have to keep trying. Some one once told me that I could get her water bucket and fill it with water and let her drink from it, then start pouring it on the ground, so she can see what it is, then lead her through it, would that help?