The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Driving (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/)
-   -   Need help with harnessing new pony (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/need-help-harnessing-new-pony-156205/)

G8tdh0rse 03-12-2013 06:10 PM

Need help with harnessing new pony

2 Attachment(s)
New pony, new cart and new harness but they did not come together. I know that some things are not right but I am lost on some others. I would really appreciate some help and advice. Here is the new pony and cart and then I will show close ups of harness and how I have it hooked up.

G8tdh0rse 03-12-2013 06:18 PM

OH the pictures worked. I was not sure they would. I think that the shafts are too high but I can't lower them because the strap that holds the tugs is to short and the strap that is hanging down is too short to go around them to hold them down. Is that right? Also I think the noseband is too high on the bridle and should be lower?
Oh a bit about the pony. She is a 6 y/o welsh 12 hands tall. The cart is the usual easy entry style with 24 inch wheels and 60 inch shafts.

Taffy Clayton 03-12-2013 06:19 PM

Good start.
Bridle looks good, but the throat latch looks a hole or two too tight. and nose band looks a hole or two too loose. The throat latch is looser in driving than riding, but of course not loose enough to have the bridle slip off.

I am off to a horticulture class right now. Will chime in with others later.

Cute pony, nice cart. just a few adjustments.

Taffy Clayton 03-12-2013 06:22 PM

The noseband is a personal preferance, I think it is okay. The wrap straps on your harness need some lengthening some how, same with the straps that hols the shaft loops.

greentree 03-12-2013 08:37 PM

The shafts should line up with the front point of his shoulder, and when they do, the seat on the cart should be level. It should not go much past the point of his shoulder, or they are too long.

The bridle looks pretty good, but check that his eye is in the middle (top to bottom), otherwise he can look under it or over it.

There should be two finger widths between his cheek and the noseband, but it looks like it goes thru the bridle loop instead of having a separate hanger, so that may be the best you can do.

The whole turnout is really nice!!

Nancy

G8tdh0rse 03-12-2013 08:38 PM

Opps not tugs ( wrong word) but the strap that holds the shaft loops is too short. It is in the last hole now. I cannot lower the shafts so that they are parallel to the ground or in line with the tugs.

G8tdh0rse 03-12-2013 08:41 PM

shafts and attachment to saddle

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the saddle and the strap that holds the shaft loops.

G8tdh0rse 03-12-2013 08:46 PM

Nancy, so I have the horse to far back? If I bring her forward then the tugs are to short to reach the single tree.
I also found out that I put the shaft ends on wrong and they should turn out instead of in. I fixed that since I took the picture.

greentree 03-12-2013 08:47 PM

I think you need longer traces, and a pad of some sort for the breast collar, because it looks very thin. There are trace extenders that buckle into the trace.

Tugs is right! Do you have a leather person who could fix them? They should buckle into a strap that hangs from the saddle, then they are adjustable. Those straps that are hanging down wrap over the shaft, then buckle into the overgirth. I am sure they don't reach with your shafts that high. Been there!

Nancy

greentree 03-12-2013 08:49 PM

We are posting at the same time!! I cannot see that last picture, sorry.