The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   I want to go to church? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/i-want-go-church-156236/)

Animallover707 03-12-2013 11:15 PM

I want to go to church?

I decided i want to start attending church, its a long drive, but i think its worth it. I have social anxiety so this is a big step for me, I usually avoid social situations as much as possible. I am really nervous that they will ask me to stand up and tell them about myself.... can i get some suggestions as to what to say? Can i get suggestions on how to introduce myself to people? how can i make a good first impression with people? i spend most of my time around animals and i dont have any social skills...

I need to make some changes in my life because its going down hill fast.

DraftyAiresMum 03-12-2013 11:19 PM

Smile. Even if you're panicking inside, smile.

Depending on the church you go to, a lot of times people will see that you're new and come up to you to introduce themselves (at least at my church they do). Smile, be polite, and don't go into too much detail about yourself right off the bat.

Biggest thing of all is don't worry about what other people think. You're there to worship the Lord, not impress other people.
Posted via Mobile Device

Phly 03-12-2013 11:25 PM

An option may be to meet the pastor ahead of time. And explain your anxiety. Though I've found mostly folks are inviting and friendly, without singling you out as the new guy.
Posted via Mobile Device

DraftyAiresMum 03-12-2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phly (Post 1935487)
An option may be to meet the pastor ahead of time. And explain your anxiety. Though I've found mostly folks are inviting and friendly, without singling you out as the new guy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Good idea!
Posted via Mobile Device

stingerscricket 03-12-2013 11:27 PM

Be humble, be yourself, and don't try to make yourself unoticeable. People are usually very welcoming like draftyairesmum said. The relationships you form really help you along the way with your journey of faith. Instead of being nervous, turn those worried thoughts into prayers!

Animallover707 03-12-2013 11:36 PM

O thank you so much! Today i had a major revalation. I said hey why am i so unhappy? I have everything in my life i could possibly want, what could be missing? So i decided i didnt have to live like this anymore and that i could turn around and put things back together.

stingerscricket 03-12-2013 11:39 PM

That is an awesome attitude! Good for you :)

DraftyAiresMum 03-12-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Animallover707 (Post 1935512)
O thank you so much! Today i had a major revalation. I said hey why am i so unhappy? I have everything in my life i could possibly want, what could be missing? So i decided i didnt have to live like this anymore and that i could turn around and put things back together.

Good for you!!

My parents have a saying hanging, framed, in their house. It says "Happiness is a choice."
Posted via Mobile Device

Animallover707 03-12-2013 11:53 PM

Aww im totaly getting one of those signs! i believe one(of many) reason im unhappy is because i never acomplished my dream to go to college and become a vet and having a no cost spay and neuter rescue. Maybe ill be able to work myself up to it and maybe i can still go! Hopefully attending church will give me more courage and hope and i can turn my situation around and accomplish my dreams.

Lockwood 03-13-2013 08:15 AM

I agree with the suggestions from the others.
Whenever I go to a new church I don't like to stand up and introduce myself either. But not all churches want you to do that.
But, if I'm at a church that does, I stand up say my name, then just say "Hi Everyone" and sit back down.
People do understand that it is hard to stand up and do that and that most are shy about doing it, and will respect that. :)