The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Thermal Imaging? Is it a gimmick? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/thermal-imaging-gimmick-156246/)

picup436 03-13-2013 02:06 AM

Thermal Imaging? Is it a gimmick?

Has anyone had the horse scanned with a thermal imaging machine? Is it worth getting done?

I've had a fair amount of bad luck with injuries and illness with my mare over the last 18 months, and while I'm willing to keep handing over my hard earned cash to get her sound, I'm not willing to pay for something that isn't going to do anything. I know that the thermal imaging isn't going to fix anything, but I'm hoping that it will provide me with a clearer picture of where exactly she is sore. So far the vet, massage therapist, saddle fitter, chiropractor, dentist and farrier haven't been able to pinpoint why she's not 100%.

Thanks

Muppetgirl 03-13-2013 02:20 AM

Well, it can pick up 'hot spots' and I've seen some really neat thermal images and the hot spot is so obvious to see. Yes, it's not going to fix the problem, but the first step in fixing a problem is identifying it;). Good luck:)

Phly 03-13-2013 02:23 AM

Seems one could do a similar thing with an IR thermometer and a lil time? I suppose unless you're lookin for internal issues that wouldn't change outward heat. I'd think an IR thermometer would be good for legs and hooves though.
Posted via Mobile Device

NaeNae87 03-14-2013 01:46 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by picup436 (Post 1935618)
Has anyone had the horse scanned with a thermal imaging machine? Is it worth getting done?

I've had a fair amount of bad luck with injuries and illness with my mare over the last 18 months, and while I'm willing to keep handing over my hard earned cash to get her sound, I'm not willing to pay for something that isn't going to do anything. I know that the thermal imaging isn't going to fix anything, but I'm hoping that it will provide me with a clearer picture of where exactly she is sore. So far the vet, massage therapist, saddle fitter, chiropractor, dentist and farrier haven't been able to pinpoint why she's not 100%.

Thanks

I have had it done and I am super happy with the results. The person doing the imaging should advise you to keep the horse out of the sun for a bit before hand and ask that you find somewhere sheltered with a constant temperature to do the actual imaging as fluctuating heat, wind and sun can all affect the readings.

Here are some of the images from my horse's scan

Back
Attachment 132875

Hamstrings
Attachment 132876

Fetlock
Attachment 132877

Knees
Attachment 132878

the bone chip would have been picked up in an x-ray, but the inflammation on his hamstrings and fetlock would not have.

picup436 03-14-2013 01:56 AM

Thanks NaeNae87! I have booked her to come out this weekend, so I'm looking forwards to the results. Did you use HotSpots?

NaeNae87 03-14-2013 02:24 AM

Yep, I did :)
Lauren is awesome.

Merlot 03-15-2013 03:08 AM

picup, it could well be her diet that is making her sore and not injury at all...
Check out ProvideIt Multi Vitamin & Minerals for Horses
This woman had all sorts of problems AND has thermal images of before and after the diet change - amazing stuff.
Cheers and good luck!

picup436 03-15-2013 03:30 AM

Thanks for that Merlot, its certainly something to consider. I'm looking forwards to seeing what the scans show up.

I took her to a different chiro a couple of days ago, he adjusted her poll, off side shoulder and pelvis. My problems with her started showing up when I had my saddle adjusted, but it is hard to tell if it was fitted poorly, or if it was fitted so well that it changed the way I sat on her and she was already sore in those areas and could no longer carry herself in such a way that didn't hurt.

She did have a couple of pretty serious accidents at the start of 2012, one of which could've quite easily have knocked her body out of alignment and my usual chiropractor didn't pick it up. I don't know. I'm just guessing, all I can do is keep trying to get to the bottom of it.

Although having read that article in more depth (Friday afternoon-itis :D) there are a few dings going off in my head right now. I am certainly willing to adjust her diet and give that a go as well.

Joe4d 03-15-2013 07:42 AM

Body alignment ? adjustments ? umm sorry I dont buy any of that stuff. Snake oil salesmen are taking your money.

Your own words, Problem started after I changed the saddle.
You dont need chiro, vodoo, or 11 herbs and spices you need to Un change your saddle.
If you change "A" and problem "B" starts. Dont go looking for solution "C". reexamine "A".

NaeNae87 03-15-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1938820)
Body alignment ? adjustments ? umm sorry I dont buy any of that stuff. Snake oil salesmen are taking your money.

Your own words, Problem started after I changed the saddle.
You dont need chiro, vodoo, or 11 herbs and spices you need to Un change your saddle.
If you change "A" and problem "B" starts. Dont go looking for solution "C". reexamine "A".

So basically what your saying is that horses soft tissue is not like ours? If you are injured have poor posture do your muscles not ache? Would you go to a physio or a chiro? All the millions and millions of dollars that get put into soft tissue rehabilitation for car accident victims and sports people must be baloney too.

Yes if your saddle doesn't fit right, changing it will alleviate some of the pain caused but what about any inflammation? If you wear high heels for too long and your feet are absolutely killing you, taking them off helps but that doesn't mean your feet aren't tender for a few days after. Imagine having to run in them for weeks until someone was clued in enough to go "hold on, it could be your shoes that are hurting". There may be some serious issues by then...
Posted via Mobile Device