The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Need Help With Unbalanced Horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/need-help-unbalanced-horse-156252/)

shaz95 03-13-2013 07:59 AM

Need Help With Unbalanced Horse

I have been riding for 6 years and I recently bought my first horse in December. She is an 8 year arab x quarter horse mare who hasn't really done much for 1 and a half years. I know that her old old owners did pony club with her. I have found that she is really unbalanced on the right rein, so much so that she slipped one day and fell onto my foot which I unfortunately broke.

Over the months I have had her I have been lunging her on the right rein to help build up her balance. It has gotten to the stage where she is comfortable cantering on the right rein whilst on the lunge. However when she is ridden and I attempt to canter her she either rushes into a fast trot which I correct or we won't be able to make a full lap of the arena in the canter because she just can't handle the corners. I was wondering if anyone could help me fix this problem.

Thanks

Saddlebag 03-13-2013 09:29 AM

Have your farrier put the hoof testers to her fronts.

LynnF 03-13-2013 09:38 AM

Carrying a rider is very different for them than cantering without one. She needs time to build up the strength to be able to do it properly. Use lots of transitions, get a nice balanced trot and ask for the canter, canter a few strides then come back down to the trot, get her balanced and ask for a few strides of canter again. Don't let her rush or fall into her transitions, if the she starts speeding up to an unbalanced trot bring her back and then ask again. You can slowly start building up to more strides of canter interspersed with less trot. It may take quite a while for her to have the muscle built up to do a whole lap of the arena.

Freemare 03-13-2013 09:42 AM

I would have the vet come out and take a look at her. She could have underlining problem with pain. Once you rule that out keep doing what you are doing with a lot more transitions. Up and down. Also do stretching with her.

aldebono 03-13-2013 10:15 AM

A chiropractor helped my mare a lot with her being unbalanced. She had a few problems the chiro addressed that were inhibiting movement around the weak side. Also, after the chiro, putting her in the round pen and w/t/c to the left and right with a saddle on and then a very balanced rider who is not interfering helped with finding her own balance.

I also believe it is building muscle to be able to carry themselves and the rider.
While the chiro immensely helped her weak side, I still had to exercise and build up those muscles. Last year, she could only keep a canter in a hand gallop. A few months ago, she just picked up a nice slow canter because the muscles she has been building are now allowing her to be more collected.