The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   Hind boots neccessary?? (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/hind-boots-neccessary-156265/)

gamingirl22 03-13-2013 12:31 PM

Hind boots neccessary??

I am going to enter a few reining classes this year (probably once a month during the summer) and I will be practicing reining manuvers in a stonedust/sand ring. Is it necessary to put hind boots on my horse if we are only going to be showing a couple times at local shows? Please let me know!

nrhareiner 03-13-2013 03:17 PM

YES. Would you play basketball in street shoes?

It takes all of a min. to put on leg gear front and back and for that amount of time to keep a horse from getting hurt is a small price. If all you are doing is light riding meaning no stopping or turning you can get away with out using leg gear. However when I start stopping the rears go on and I always have fronts on.

gamingirl22 03-23-2013 12:01 PM

What type of (inexpensive) hind boots should I purchase?

Muppetgirl 03-24-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamingirl22 (Post 2001913)
What type of (inexpensive) hind boots should I purchase?

As far as I've seen they've always been around $100 or more a pair.....:shock: but I may be looking in the wrong place!!!!

ReiningCrazy 03-25-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppetgirl (Post 2015089)
As far as I've seen they've always been around $100 or more a pair.....:shock: but I may be looking in the wrong place!!!!

They are $100 a pair over here so you are not looking in the wrong place. Why does horses have to be so expensive?!?! LOL

NBEventer 03-25-2013 09:50 AM

I don't know what kind of boots you need for reining, but there are SMB boots and knock offs on chicks saddlery in the $40 - $50 range. There are also skid boots for $25.

Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com Leather Skid Boot

Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com Tough-1 Ultimate Skid Boot

Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com Tough-1 Economy Sport Boot

Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com Tough-1 Extreme Vented Sport Boots - Rear Legs

Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com Professionals Choice SMB II Sports Medicine Boot

Muppetgirl 03-25-2013 10:10 AM

Well Thankyou NB!!!!! Ya it's the skid boots......if you're lucky enough to have a horse who digs deep and needs em:wink:

gamingirl22 03-26-2013 01:01 PM

This might sound stupid...sorry I'm new at reining...but this is what I'm thinking...leather skid boots on the hind legs, sport boots on the front and bell boots on the front. Is that good?? And do i have to buy sport boots for the back legs?

Cynical25 03-26-2013 04:54 PM

When I worked for a big-name reiner EVERY ride required leather skid boots in back, sports boots or thick polos with bell boots on front. Even if I was just loping to keep 'em fit while the boss was away at a show. Would occasionally use polos or hock boots on the back for our really low, deep sliders.

Muppetgirl 03-26-2013 04:59 PM

Also when your spinning at faster speeds, an upturned bell boot around a front leg sitting/resting above the splint boot (splint boot will keep it up over the knee - but because its a bell the horse can still move) will save the horse from crossing over and accidentally whacking itself and getting hurt and not wanting to spin:wink: