The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Strangest things people have tried to convince you about your horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/strangest-things-people-have-tried-convince-156273/)

ButtInTheDirt 03-13-2013 02:01 PM

Strangest things people have tried to convince you about your horse?

I was curious about the strangest/dumbest thing or things people have tried to convince you about your horse. I feel like this would make for some interesting stories... :lol: I don't have any right this moment but I'm sure to think of some when I read other stories. I'm looking forward to your replies!

aldebono 03-13-2013 02:10 PM

One "trainer" said my mare looked like she is greying out. I politely informed her that she is 9 years old and is a rabicano.

DraftyAiresMum 03-13-2013 02:12 PM

A fellow boarder at my old barn tried to convince me to keep Aires a stallion and not geld him. She wanted to breed her awful fugly mare to him (not exaggerating...her mare has horrible conformation and just a bad attitude). She didn't care that Aires is grade (Percheron/paint cross) because her "mare is registered, so it's okay" (her logic, not mine). She kept telling me I could stud him out for $500 a pop just because "he's so pretty."

She stopped speaking to me entirely after Aires was gelded.
Posted via Mobile Device

cowgirl928 03-13-2013 02:16 PM

someone tried to convince me that my horse had a serious leg problem when she started gaiting once ahahahahaha. After I told her that she was gaited she told me that there was no way I would ever get her trained properly because I didn't know anything about gaited horses. At this moment in time I have done abundant research and happen to have a mare that gaits well and consistently. So that lady can just shove it! :D because I win :-P

GamingGrrl 03-13-2013 02:16 PM

I had a guy tell me that my horse needed a tie-down, after he saw him pop up in a small rear in a parking lot at a show. He does tiny rears to protest, and because someone must've got off of him whenever he did it in the past. Nope, he doesn't need a tie down quick fix, he needs more experience leaving home and leaving his buddys. A few shows later and he's almost 100% calm and no more rearing!
Posted via Mobile Device

Delfina 03-13-2013 02:17 PM

The supposed "Large Animal Vet" who kept asking repeatedly if my horse was REALLY a Morgan and was I sure his papers weren't forged?!

Nah... he MUST be a QH, they all prance around with their knees hitting their chest, their tail a billion miles in the air, have a very refined build, tiny, lil butts, refined heads and are 14hh. No wait.... maybe he's a Clydesdale...

ButtInTheDirt 03-13-2013 02:23 PM

Great, keep them coming! :lol:

I had an older vet who thought my mare was a Quarter horse and was just very sweaty. When I told him she was a Bashkir Curly he just rolled his eyes and looked at me like 'okay'. Also had a few people tell me my other Curly mare who has a thicker coat has Cushings real bad. She is perfectly healthy and sheds just fine, but they would fight to the death, I swear.

DancingArabian 03-13-2013 02:29 PM

Someone asked me if my horse really was full blooded Arabian and not just a pretty part bred. Why? Because he's "too well mannered to be an Arabian" - they thought all Arabs were snort n blow all the time like in the pictures!
Posted via Mobile Device

faye 03-13-2013 02:31 PM

Probably not what you are after but i've had several "proffessionals" tell me to have Reeco Shot (those exact words).
Reeco was scared and in pain and letting me know in the only way he knew how (bolting), he has had a horrific past and at the time had an undiagnosed fractured pelvis! 12 months later and I have a very sweet pony who will hopefully be doing his first ridden show in the next few weeks

DraftyAiresMum 03-13-2013 02:43 PM

Thought of another one...

Guy at work very rudely told me not to train Aires English because English is for losers who can't ride horses and if I train him English, I'll ruin him.
Posted via Mobile Device