The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack Reviews (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/)
-   -   Fly Sheet Brand for TB in Playful Pasture (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/fly-sheet-brand-tb-playful-pasture-156290/)

klkavich 03-13-2013 04:50 PM

Fly Sheet Brand for TB in Playful Pasture

Hi, I am looking for recommendations on brands/lines of fly sheets for my high-withered TB gelding. He is at the bottom of the pecking order in the gelding pasture and gets picked on quite a bit. I need a fly sheet to withstand biting, etc. and also rolling around (he rolls a lot). I need to pay particular attention to his high withers as I do not want them to be rubbed. I was looking into Kennsington fly sheets, very durable but some say they rub the shoulders since its such a stiff material. Also, my gelding will be turned out 24/7 in the fly sheet, so breathability is key too. Not so concerned with bleaching as he is bay and I don't show competitively.

As a side note, I am from Canada, so cannot always order from some american sites.

So recommendations for a durable fly sheet for a TB that I can get in Canada. Anyone have luck with Greenhawk fly sheets?

Thanks!

xxdanioo 03-13-2013 04:52 PM

Check out sstack.com. I'm not sure how Greenhawk's stuff is. So far my Schneiders blankets have been standing up wonderfully. I haven't ordered my fly sheet yet, so no word on how they are.

reigninseattle 03-17-2013 01:03 AM

Yep go to sstack. they have blankets specially made for high-withered horses. I have the Marathon midweight turnout and it fits my high-withered TB perfectly. It's on it's 3rd season and looks new when I wash it, Schneiders makes quality blankets. Check this one out:
Dura-Mesh FlyshieldŽ Fly Sheet in Dura-Mesh Fly Sheets at Schneider Saddlery

That's the one I'm planning on getting this year, never had one before but the reviews say they are durable. They also have the same one with a bellyband, and you can purchase matching neck cover, fly mask, and fly boots if you want. :-)