The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Black & White Raven?? What the....? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/black-white-raven-what-156299/)

Fulford15 03-13-2013 05:50 PM

Black & White Raven?? What the....?

Ok, I am terrified of birds. Saw this on my Facebook newsfeed, someone took a picture of a Black & White Raven! If you have ever been to Fort McMurray, Alberta, you will know that the Ravens are mutant sized here, and are the size of Bald Eagles LOL. Seeing this thing made my skin crawl... tried googling it and nothing came up. So weird... and creepy :shock: Maybe a raven bred with a magpie? Who knows! Thought I'd share... Reminds me of something Native...

http://rstorage.filemobile.com/storage/10369772/1085

WSArabians 03-13-2013 06:05 PM

Weird.
Photoshop, maybe?

Shropshirerosie 03-13-2013 06:14 PM

Lovely - as I'm not terrified of birds, I think that's beautiful.

Better a black and white raven than a giant magpie though. One for sorrow, two for joy ..... what does a Giant one bring?

Shoebox 03-13-2013 06:16 PM

Its gorgeous. Leucistic (white) ravens, while incredibly rare, do exist. Maybe a regular raven bred with a white raven? Could just be a mutation, too. Either way - It's incredible. I'm the opposite - I love birds, so this is really quite interesting to me!

LadyDreamer 03-13-2013 07:12 PM

The White-winged Crows of Boxley Valley -- Arkansas Wildlife Photography Gallery and Blog
Posted via Mobile Device

Phly 03-13-2013 07:30 PM

I ain't never seen a crow with white on it either. But the next county over has black squirrels, which I hear, are fairly out of the norm.
Posted via Mobile Device

Missy May 03-14-2013 01:36 AM

It looks like it could just be a magpie.

We have had both a pet magpie (rescue) and a pet Raven. Both area amazing birds, but ravens are just in a class of their own. It would be neat if they came in this "outfit", too.

stevenson 03-14-2013 02:10 AM

that bird is really neat. they can have white in them, it is rare.
very pretty crow/raven. The only time I dont like them is when they put things in the water troughs, and steal the shiny objects they see ;) faucet handles are some of thier favs..

Fulford15 03-14-2013 11:39 AM

Interesting!! I don't think it's a magpie, they have blue tails here and their tail feathers are very long and thin, look more so like a Blue Jay.

I am thinking your correct Shoebox, weird how pigmentation works...!

Chokolate 03-15-2013 05:33 AM

It may just be a magpie - but very cool, all the same and excellent picture!

On the subject of magpies, in Term 4 last year there was an announcement over the loudspeaker at school about girls HAD to wear their panama hats if they were walking to the train station because a magpie was attacking students and the hats offered some protection. We came out in droves armed with umbrellas and lunchbox missiles :).