The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Paint mare Critique? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/paint-mare-critique-156307/)

averylilly 03-13-2013 07:07 PM

Paint mare Critique?

4 Attachment(s)
So i am posting this for a friend who wanted to know if any one saw any thing that popped out about her mare's conformation. She is a soild paint.She is about 15'3 and is a nice mare.:-)Sorry the pic are not very good.:?

Thank you!

speidel 03-13-2013 07:30 PM

first pic looks a little camped under??

DraftyAiresMum 03-13-2013 07:34 PM

I take it these pics are from separate times?

In the first pic, she's camped under, underweight, butt high, over at the knee (a teensy bit), tied in behind the knee, sickle hocked, and her hocks are set WAY high.

Second set (where she's fuzzy) are difficult to tell with a dark horse on a dark background, but it looks like she's definitely sickle hocked, still tied in behind the knee...and she still looks a bit underweight, even with the woolies. I also wonder if she's brown, not black, with the mealiness around her muzzle and under her flank...
Posted via Mobile Device

Endiku 03-13-2013 09:04 PM

With a gigantic, shark fin wither like that, I'm really wondering if she's a TB rather than a paint, or atleast partially TB? I'm not sure that I've ever seen such prominent withers on a paint before. Usually the problem is opposite.

I'm also wondering if her feet are hurting her, whether from laminitis or just those very underrun heels. She has the very typical 'ouch' posture that horses tend to adopt when they don't want to put pressure on their heels. My foster filly stands the same way due to having terribly unhealthy hooves (we're working on them!). It could just be a conformational fault though. Still, I think that trimming her differently would help her, either way.

Needs 60 or so pounds, steep shoulder, long back, and long pasterns/cannons, which again leads me to wondering if she's at least partbred TB. I think that with some weight and a different farrier this gal will look 200% better and a lot of her faults will be minimized. Once she gains some weight, some good work to build her muscles up would help her out a lot as well. How old is she?