The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   How to slow a trot? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/how-slow-trot-156372/)

Baylee 03-14-2013 12:00 PM

How to slow a trot?

I was just curious, i've been training my horse and things have been going great. Te only problem is that she has a quick trot and I'm having trouble getting her to slow down. I've tried using body language; leaning back in the saddle a bit and tapping her down when she gets to fast but she always picks back up as soon as I relax and ease up on her.

What are some ways I can get her to relax her trot more and slow down a little? I don't want a super slow trot just slow than what it is now- any faster and she's ready to break into a canter :-|

Tanks for the help!

xlionesss 03-14-2013 12:33 PM

Sit deep in your seat. Also, if you're posting, slow your posting down. I'm not sure if this will work on all horses, but the ones I've ridden who like to trot faster than normal, I see-saw the reins. Slightly go back and forth with the reins, if you know what I mean.

SEAmom 03-14-2013 12:34 PM

Transition work helps a lot. I also find that working on body control (the horse's body and yours), shoulder for, quarter on the haunches, leg yield/head out on the circle, and similar exercises really help a lot for slowing down the stride and getting more deliberate, collected motion.
Posted via Mobile Device

palogal 03-14-2013 12:35 PM

What kind of bit are you using? Sometimes the horse won't relax the front end if the bit is too hard.
I start with trot-halt transitions and I 'whisper' the trot cue and see just how light I can cue it to get it accomplished. This makes the horse think and slow his brain down. Then the cue to 'slow down' is lifting the reins a bit and settling in the seat bones (a half- halt), the horse thinks "she may be halting" and will settle down. Keep on top of it and demand he adjust his pace. If he wont slow down, halt and try again. Get his mind back on your seat and aids and off of his own auto pilot.

mls 03-14-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baylee (Post 1937611)
What are some ways I can get her to relax her trot more and slow down a little? I don't want a super slow trot just slow than what it is now- any faster and she's ready to break into a canter :-|

Does she need to relax or need to slow down? A rushed anxious trot is different than a horse that is simply quick.

Is she balanced or strung out? An unbalanced horse is rushy as they are not sure how to move with a rider.

Up and down transistions are good. 3-4 strides. Sit DOWN not back. Trot poles are good for starting the balance. They encourage the horse to lift and reach correctly.

Baylee 03-14-2013 01:29 PM

Palogal- I ride her in a snaffle, it's the only bit i have that fits her and seems to work fine unless there's a way to 'test ' it and see if it's actually helping.

mls - I think she just needs to slow down. All other gates are fine but her trot is faster than i'd like it to be.

palogal 03-14-2013 01:31 PM

Snaffle should be fine. Work the half halt :) Do not go to a stronger bit.

smrobs 03-14-2013 02:06 PM

Millions and millions of transitions. Trot-walk-trot-stop-back-trot-stop-walk-stop-back-trot, etc, etc, etc.

Baylee 03-14-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palogal (Post 1937729)
Snaffle should be fine. Work the half halt :) Do not go to a stronger bit.

Ok thanks! I will work on it :)

amberly 03-14-2013 09:06 PM

My horse has a pretty fast and roller-coastery trot. What I do, is I just gently pull back on the reins until he slows down to the pace i want - but not walking. So far it has really helped with me, and he is learning not to have 16 different trots. lol, no joke.