The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Serge vs Fleece for Aussie saddle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/serge-vs-fleece-aussie-saddle-156373/)

bossmare1j 03-14-2013 12:35 PM

Serge vs Fleece for Aussie saddle

I am currently in the process of purchasing an Aussie for my Morgan mare. I've narrowed it down to the Wizzard Poley (best quality I can find in my price range) but can't decide between the serge panel or the fleece. The store owner says my mare could go either way. So . . . which do I try? I am ordering from out-of-province as I have no other choice. I am hoping that the 1st one I get will fit her and I won't have to send it back . . ..I have read that the fleece panels, while giving closer contact and spreading weight better (all good in my mind!) really have to fit well like a western saddle whereas, the serge panel is a little more forgiving and will mold to the horse. So, likely I have a better chance at a good fit if I go with the serge??? Or do you think it's safe to try the fleece for the closer contact?? Apparently my mare is quite average in everything, body shape, wither height, etc. She's not broad and flat but she's not got really high withers, either. She's 7 this spring and hasn't been ridden since the summer/she's quite green and out of shape. Her Billy Cook leaves dry spots and I tried a bijillion westerns before deciding on that one!:???:

DraftyAiresMum 03-14-2013 01:44 PM

My Aussie saddle has serge panels and it's great. Especially since my gelding is still growing and filling out. I also like that with my serge panel saddle, I can use more of a thinner, English-type pad (actually made ours because I couldn't find what I wanted) instead of having to use a thick, heavy western pad, like you do with the fleece lining.
Posted via Mobile Device