The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Horse feeders to keep feed off the ground...? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/horse-feeders-keep-feed-off-ground-156376/)

harleyboiirun 03-14-2013 01:03 PM

Horse feeders to keep feed off the ground...?

I'm currently using 40 gallon rubber oval tubs for their hay but they just throw it all over and eat off their poop and off the sand which is not good because of sand balls sand colic and worms. I don't have stalls. How can I keep their feed off the ground??
Posted via Mobile Device

mls 03-14-2013 01:04 PM

Feed bags, fence feeders, free standing feeders . . .

harleyboiirun 03-14-2013 01:05 PM

They pull it out of the hay bags and still get it everywhere :/
Posted via Mobile Device

paintedpastures 03-14-2013 01:27 PM

you can't keep it off ground:shock: yes you may try & find something that does have the feed off the ground but it won't stay that way:lol: They are programmed to toss their hay about !!!:wink:

harleyboiirun 03-14-2013 02:00 PM

I need something tho. Any ideas??
Posted via Mobile Device

deserthorsewoman 03-14-2013 02:36 PM

Have a look here. Those are slowfeeders. The holes are small, about 2", and horse can pull out one strand at a time only, eats slower, has to work a little for it, just like in nature. The hay lasts much longer, they don't run out, have always something to nibble, no more ulcers, and nearly zero waste!
Slow Feeding Horses on Paddock Paradise Tracks - Paddock Paradise Wiki

deserthorsewoman 03-14-2013 02:45 PM

You say you have the oval troughs....you could put a net over it, making sure it is big enough to reach to the bottom of the trough( so they can get to what's left in the bottom), attach half of it permanently, the other half to open( string around half of trough, string attached to net, lift off, fill, cover with net and mend to string on trough). I assume your horses have shoes. Put the trough up, upper edge higher than tallest horse's knee, to avoid one get stuck in net. A wooden frame, or legs would accomplish that.:-)

PunksTank 03-14-2013 02:57 PM

What I did was get a large rubber mucket bucket and cut one of the handles off (or duct tape over it if you don't want to ruin it). Then I cut a small hole in the center bottom of it. I got a large hay net with small holes (it holds about half a bale and has 2" holes) I fill the hay net and put it upside down in the bucket, I run the tie cord through the bottom hole of the bucket and tie it up underneath - so it can't be pulled out. Then with the handle on the other side I tie it to a fence. I have a few small ones of those around the paddock. It's flexible rubber so they can kick/paw at it, the hols in the net are too small to get caught up in (but check each time you refill) and even if they kick it around it's not going anywhere and the hay won't fall out. :)

Blue Smoke 03-14-2013 03:30 PM

I will second the small hole hay nets. The traditional huge hole hay nets just won't do, you need the small hole ones, they just arent able to take huge bites to toss around, there is nearly zero waste, and the hay lasts longer.

These are cheap and durable. I can put 3 out for my horses filled with hay and they will last all day until evening
Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com Slow Feed Small Mesh Hay Bag

More expensive, but they have very high quality hay nets of different hole size and bale size, including round bales Online Catalog - Cinch Chix

Another one Small Mesh Hay Net | Dover Saddlery

ETA that the pasture paradise website has tons of do it yourself slow feeder ideas as well. It is a great resource!

harleyboiirun 03-14-2013 03:36 PM

Love these ideas!would definately give them something to do all day so they go through all the sand. Thanks (: