The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   It wasn't a horse that did me in! (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/wasnt-horse-did-me-156403/)

busysmurf 03-14-2013 07:23 PM

It wasn't a horse that did me in!

It was a hill!!!:evil::evil::evil: At work today walking down a hill, I heard a 'CRACK', had a sharp pain in my ankle, and down I went.

I didn't twist it, I didn't roll it, I didn't step on anything I shouldn't have. It was kind of a slick hill, so I was taking my time, and had my weight on the sides of my feet/heels. I was wearing Kamik winter boots (only difference from them and a cast is the boots are composite safety toe). So there's no possible way I rolled the ankle. IT. JUST. WENT. CRACK!!!!

For once I was lucky, and not working by myself, so my coworker took me to the ER. They took x-rays & said they couldn't see a break right now. There might be one that's visible once the swelling goes down. So I find out Monday what the verdict is.

I've been stepped on, rolled on, kicked in more places I care to mention, I've lost count of how many concussions I've had, I broken each finger at least twice, and then some. I've ALWAYS walked away from it.

BUT AN F'IN HILL PUTS ME ON CRUTCHES & ON THE COUCH!!!!:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:
Seriously????

Jacqua Stud 03-14-2013 07:28 PM

I'm sorry, i shouldn't laugh, but a chuckle escaped :-) sounds like a mate of mine, he coughed and broke a rib! He just said it was because he was so manly...

Hopefully it isn't, but if it is I'll have my fingers crossed that it's little and you heal quickly :-)

NBEventer 03-14-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busysmurf (Post 1938058)
It was a hill!!!:evil::evil::evil: At work today walking down a hill, I heard a 'CRACK', had a sharp pain in my ankle, and down I went.

I didn't twist it, I didn't roll it, I didn't step on anything I shouldn't have. It was kind of a slick hill, so I was taking my time, and had my weight on the sides of my feet/heels. I was wearing Kamik winter boots (only difference from them and a cast is the boots are composite safety toe). So there's no possible way I rolled the ankle. IT. JUST. WENT. CRACK!!!!

For once I was lucky, and not working by myself, so my coworker took me to the ER. They took x-rays & said they couldn't see a break right now. There might be one that's visible once the swelling goes down. So I find out Monday what the verdict is.

I've been stepped on, rolled on, kicked in more places I care to mention, I've lost count of how many concussions I've had, I broken each finger at least twice, and then some. I've ALWAYS walked away from it.

BUT AN F'IN HILL PUTS ME ON CRUTCHES & ON THE COUCH!!!!:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:
Seriously????

Sorry, I didn't mean to rub my bad luck off on you!!

If it makes you feel any better a few years back on Canada day I was grooming at the track and we were standing up on a hill beside the gate to the track watching one of our horses run. It was a hot humid nasty day and I fainted falling backwards down the hill. I woke up and couldn't move my hand. The trainer I was working for tried to get me to go to the ER but we had 4 more horses to run and the other groom was sick and I didn't want to leave him high and dry even though he insisted it was okay. So we wrapped it up in vet wrap and continued the day on.

I went to the ER at the end of the day and they couldn't tell if it was broken because it had swollen so bad, went back a few days later and indeed there was a fracture in my wrist :lol:

Seriously though? Fainting falling backwards down a hill?! It wasn't the high strung race horses that did me in, it was the **** sun! lol

deserthorsewoman 03-14-2013 07:30 PM

I feel for you....had the same thing....also not the horses....but I rolled the foot....learned the hard way not to wear slippers around the barn. It was a ligament. And it took a loooong time to heal. I was by myself, hubby was in Bosnia. With 9 horses. I managed.....
Keep the foot up. Ice helps with the swelling. ........:-/

Muppetgirl 03-14-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NBEventer (Post 1938063)
Sorry, I didn't mean to rub my bad luck off on you!!

If it makes you feel any better a few years back on Canada day I was grooming at the track and we were standing up on a hill beside the gate to the track watching one of our horses run. It was a hot humid nasty day and I fainted falling backwards down the hill. I woke up and couldn't move my hand. The trainer I was working for tried to get me to go to the ER but we had 4 more horses to run and the other groom was sick and I didn't want to leave him high and dry even though he insisted it was okay. So we wrapped it up in vet wrap and continued the day on.

I went to the ER at the end of the day and they couldn't tell if it was broken because it had swollen so bad, went back a few days later and indeed there was a fracture in my wrist :lol:

Seriously though? Fainting falling backwards down a hill?! It wasn't the high strung race horses that did me in, it was the **** sun! lol

Haha oh gee the racetrack.!! If it makes either of you feel better....I got concussed by a grain dolly/cart at the track!

smrobs 03-14-2013 07:33 PM

I'm like JS, I know I really shouldn't laugh because it's not funny...but it sort of is at the same time.

I feel your pain, hopefully it's nothing serious (my first though is a ruptured tendon/ligament), but maybe it just popped in a way that hurt and that's the end of it.

XX Fingers crossed.

NBEventer 03-14-2013 07:33 PM

In all seriousness though, thank goodness you had a coworker with you. Keep your foot up, take advil and keep icing it. Fingers crossed it was just a nasty sprain!

NBEventer 03-14-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppetgirl (Post 1938075)
Haha oh gee the racetrack.!! If it makes either of you feel better....I got concussed by a grain dolly/cart at the track!

Why does this not surprise me? PS, thanks for making me spit water all over my laptop :-x

busysmurf 03-14-2013 08:35 PM

It's ok for you guys to laugh, I find it funny as well. It would be my luck it was just a **** hill, not some nut case horse no one else can ride ((sigh))
Posted via Mobile Device

backyardhorse 03-14-2013 10:51 PM

Here's one I hope you all DO laff at!
Was working at a farm which hosted an annual schooling show. On Thursday, the porta-potti guy delivered, and for whatever reason, it was set up next to a pasture gate. On Friday, I was leading a horse to that pasture, and just at the most critical time (one hand on the gate, one on the lead), the BO emerged from said toilet. The poor horse tried unsuccessfully to leap into my pocket for safety. Although he missed the pocket, he WAS successful in mashing my foot. Don't know if he broke it (didn't hurt enough after 10 mins to warrant a trip to the ER), but it was sore for a lolng time!