The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Paint Breeding Stock (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/paint-breeding-stock-156416/)

KirstenR 03-14-2013 08:38 PM

Paint Breeding Stock

Hi everybody. I have been 'googling', researching and basically killing my brain trying to learn everything about breeding APHA horses. The one thing I can't find a whole lot of information about is Breeding Stock Paints. In order to register as breeding stock both sire and dam of a horse must be Reg.Paints. My question is in regards to my new filly. She is out of my Reg. APHA Stallion Spirit Dance and a Reg. Thoroughbred Mare. She is a solid Bay with 4 white socks and a white blaze and snip on her nose. Her most noticeable feature would be that she has two bright blue eyes. Blue eyes come from her Sire and are definitely a Paint trait on the registry but her socks aren't stockings, and her blaze is just an inch or so short of the required 'diagram' measurements for Paint Markings. Has anybody looked into the specifics of this type of classification, or dealt with similar registration issues? Getting solid information on Breeding stock qualifications or what classifies as which is very confusing. Any help or some pointing in the right direction would be helpful. Thanks for your time in advance!

NdAppy 03-14-2013 08:56 PM

Why don't you just call and/or email the registry? They would be more than happy to help you.

CCH 03-14-2013 08:59 PM

They are not called breeding stock anymore. The new correct term is Solid Bred Paint (SBP)

Registration works the same way for SBP's as it does for Regular Registry (RR). The stallion, even though he is APHA, must be listed. Listing is a one time thing where only the fee needs to be paid. Because the mare is not APHA, she also needs to be listed and a copy of her papers needs to accompany the listing form & fee. The stallion breeding report must have also been filed.

After that, all you do is fill out the registration form and send in the required photos. If you pay with credit/debit card, all of these forms can be submitted by email/online system.
Posted via Mobile Device

MyLittlePonies 03-18-2013 03:38 PM

CCH is right. They might have you DNA both mare and foal.
Posted via Mobile Device

PaintHorseMares 03-18-2013 04:13 PM

Call (817) 222-6423 or email customerservice@apha.com to get the scoop on everything you need.
Posted via Mobile Device