The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   First (and Last!) time with an "animal communicator/pet psychic"! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/first-last-time-animal-communicator-pet-156426/)

TurkishVan 03-14-2013 10:13 PM

First (and Last!) time with an "animal communicator/pet psychic"!

My riding instructor has been lightly urging me to visit with her friend, who is a self-proclaimed animal communicator. I really like this instructor, and she's never tried to get money from me in any way, other than from lessons. (She's also a bit cheaper, and much better than other instructors in the area.) So it confused me as to why she wanted me to meet with this person so badly. I don't know whether or not to be wary, since they might be trying to just get money from people, or just take it in stride, and figure that my riding instructor believes in some funky stuff.

Anyway, the "communicator" came to the barn to observe my lesson. She wanted a dollar per minute. I had reluctantly agreed to have her come and visit with my horses, but only for 10-15 minutes! I told her that I couldn't afford $50 (she intended to "communicate" throughout my entire lesson), so she backed down to $15 for a half hour.
All she did was read my horse's body language. She basically told me that my horse was feeling more comfortable with the new equipment that I had (the relaxed, lowered head already told me that!), but that the bit was bothering her (the head tossing and hanging on to the bit already told me that!). We readjusted the bit, and she was better. She told me that my horse spooked to get me off balance, and that doing that would mean the horse wouldn't have to work as hard. More so since it would take me some time to get back into the rhythm of things again.

When I asked her to come and visit with another horse that I had there, she said that he was a "good boy", very well-trained, and that he had been ridden by a man. (Very descriptive, I know.) I told her nothing about him, and actually asked for information about his past. She only gave the "ridden by a man" portion. Nothing else. She also said that I wouldn't have any problems with him.
...Little does she know that he used to be ridden solely be a little BOY with leukemia, and he IS very well-trained, but the weekend before I had a hard time controling him. He almost dumped me numerous times due to his herd bound issues. Yeah... I won't have any problems with him. Sheesh!

Oh well. I paid $15, and I guess the entertainment was worth it. Am I a bit angry that I paid $15 for nothing? Well yeah, but I pretty much knew that I wouldn't be getting something real.
I really hope that my instructor hasn't teamed up with this woman to exploit naive people like myself. Because even though I AM naive, I'm not stupid. I did it this once out of curiosity. I don't waste money a second time.

I did have to hold in my laughter when she started talking about how horses astral travel to hang out with their owners, and that she can see their dreams.... I'm pretty sure that if my horse could do something like that, watching me is the last thing they'd be doing..

Breella 03-14-2013 11:07 PM

My mother in law has talked about having one come out to "talk" to Topaz. I don't think I'll find out anything Topaz hasn't already told me himself.

Skyseternalangel 03-14-2013 11:52 PM

I find it kind of creepy, tbh. While yes one I met up with actually knew quite a bit about Sky and ended up foretelling the future (I ended up taking him and he is my soul horse) I still don't think I'd pay to experience that again. Ever.

TurkishVan 03-15-2013 12:05 AM

Well, I have extensive experience in interacting with mentally ill people, so nothing would really surprise me too much. (I grew up beside a mental health facility.)
But honestly, this person wasn't mentally ill. I just got the "swindler/scammer" vibe from her.

I was expecting a bit more, really. I wanted to hear about my horse's past life, where they had been Arabians running through the golden deserts, bearing foreign kings, brandishing shining swords that sparkled in the sun... You know. That kind of crap. :lol:

Thunderspark 03-15-2013 12:41 AM

Alot of people believe in this....personally I think it's just a money scam.....maybe out of curiosity I would see like you did but other than that I don't think I would.....

Phly 03-15-2013 12:53 AM

Sounds a bit on the outside to me too. But...... We did meet a gal at a show once who was, ummmmm in touch, with horses. Nicest lady. Horse was being a real ass, she spent 5mins playin n touching on her (the pony) and the pony was fine! I crap you not. It was a lil spooky. She did some tapping rubbing deal on her horse too. Which was absolutely the best behaved horse at the show. Idk about communicating, but there may be something to a deeper connection. Heck I feel a lil silly even tellin that story, but it's true as the crap on my boots. Oh, she never asked for a nickel, but gave us her # and asked us to come ride with her sometime.
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 03-15-2013 06:52 AM

Your instructor is what is known as a "shill" and you ,my dear, were a "mark".
It's called a confidence game. IE you got conned.

Iseul 03-15-2013 08:28 AM

I have an appt. over the phone on tuesday..But this is exactly why it'll be over the phone.

I have no intentions of having someone watch my horse and tell me what I already know. But, if you can be spot on about everything with a friend's horse and mention mine, I'll give up $30 to hear what you have to say.
From my friend's appt., I wholeheartedly believe she's not a fake, there were too many things that she just couldn't have known.
Posted via Mobile Device

wetrain17 03-15-2013 08:56 AM

For every one real animal communicator there are about 50 who aren't. I'm sure there are some people out there who are more intuned with animals and in some way can communicate with them. However, I'm reluctant to believe it as the odds are always stacked against them. They would have to tell me some really detailed information to get me to believe anything they say.

Copperhead 03-15-2013 09:28 AM

Its best to do your own research if you're really interested in a communicator. Get reviews, "watch" them (in my case, I watched through facebook), ask questions, find how reputable they are. Do this with several until you find the one you're comfortable with. I looked for 5 months and literally stalked the one I picked out for a little while before employing her.

Kind of like a farrier or a vet. Just because someone is "the best in the area" or "really good" doesn't mean they are. I've come across 3 farriers (2 in the last month) who's work was less than sub-par but their clients claimed they were very good.

Educate yourself before you pick a communicator, otherwise you will be "had". $15 is insanely cheap for any type of equine service.

There are things they can find out about the horse and there are things that they can't find out about the horse. If a horse doesn't know who it's father is, the animal communcator won't be able to tell you either. I'd even wage a bet that horses don't have the foggiest clue what their breed is, since thats typically a "human" description of their lineage. I bet they'd be able to tell you the color of their parents (if they knew the father of if they weren't orphaned at birth), but not the breed.

You have to be realistic in your expectations. I like the one I found and will use her again sometime soon. She was detailed and accurate.