The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   do half chaps improve riding performance? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/do-half-chaps-improve-riding-performance-156434/)

skye97 03-14-2013 11:38 PM

do half chaps improve riding performance?

I'm new to this forum and tried the search option but couldn't find anything about this...if you happen to know of any similar threads feel free to point me in the right direction! :-)

Anyway, I started taking English lessons about 2 months ago and have been riding in tights and paddock boots. So far I feel okay with this set-up - I get the occasional pinch on my calves but nothing major (no bruising or anything), so as far as comfort goes I don't feel like I need half chaps. However, I'm wondering if they doing anything for riding performance? I'm still working on the basics of walking and trotting, and won't be doing anything fancy for quite a while. Thanks for any advice!

NaeNae87 03-14-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skye97 (Post 1938570)
I'm new to this forum and tried the search option but couldn't find anything about this...if you happen to know of any similar threads feel free to point me in the right direction! :-)

Anyway, I started taking English lessons about 2 months ago and have been riding in tights and paddock boots. So far I feel okay with this set-up - I get the occasional pinch on my calves but nothing major (no bruising or anything), so as far as comfort goes I don't feel like I need half chaps. However, I'm wondering if they doing anything for riding performance? I'm still working on the basics of walking and trotting, and won't be doing anything fancy for quite a while. Thanks for any advice!

half chaps do not do anything other than offer your legs a bit of protection. They won't improve your riding - they just stop the pinching.

If you are fine in tights and boots, keep riding in them. :) If you feel you want a little bit of extra protection, ride with long socks over your tights. I do it all the time.

In saying that, I also love my half chaps.

DraftyAiresMum 03-14-2013 11:46 PM

I ride in half chaps because they're more comfortable, keep my pants out of the way (I ride in basically leggings made from jean material), and I find the give a little extra grip for my lower leg.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyseternalangel 03-14-2013 11:48 PM

I hate riding in half chaps because I can't feel how much leg I have on the horse. Also they just make my leg bulkier.

tinyliny 03-15-2013 12:03 AM

If you were fat like me, you'd get the stirrup leathers pinching more than occasionally. half chaps end that, give a bit more grip and look cool. coolness factor can't be underestimated!

waresbear 03-15-2013 12:39 AM

I like riding in tall boots, but I don't like wearing them all the time, so I wear half chaps, smoother against the saddle, less friction. As for ridng better, I guess if they remove the distraction of pinching or what not, then I sorta guess so.

Golden Horse 03-15-2013 12:47 AM

They make me feel better, if I feel better I ride better, ergo they improve my riding performance.:lol:

skye97 03-15-2013 01:03 AM

Thanks for all the quick responses - they've been really helpful! Tinyliny, I agree, they look pretty cool, so I'll take that into consideration. :D But I think I'm going to hold off for now...I'd rather spend the money on another lesson or two at this point.

~*~anebel~*~ 03-15-2013 01:31 AM

I actually find a huge difference with wearing different boots while riding.
I find that my dress boots really stabilize my ankle from flopping out sideways, while soft boots or half chaps don't stabilize as much and in just paddock boots, or loose fitting boots I find my ankle to by quite floppy.
I have seen riders improve with the purchase of hard dress boots because the lower body becomes more stable.

However, with that said, at where you are now you wont feel much difference. But down the road, yes what boots you wear do make a difference!
Good luck!

tinyliny 03-15-2013 02:01 AM

tall boots do stabilize the leg. I used to ride in them from time to time.
I have a pair, but shamefully, my calves have gotten too fat to fit in them.