The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Is he Paint by Color or Breed? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/he-paint-color-breed-156448/)

xoxoNohea 03-15-2013 05:22 AM

Is he Paint by Color or Breed?

4 Attachment(s)
Hello Everyone:) I know this is a REALLY strange sounding question but I have a new little guy that I got on the 11th, so I've only had him a few days. He was a death row rescue so other than the details of the horrible abuse he endured before the woman I got him from saved his life, I know nothing else about him other than an approximate age and that he is a paint, in color at least. I know that many breeds can have the paint coloring, and due to his size and gait (he walks like my late beloved Paso Fino), I'm wondering if any of you may have any ideas about what breed he may be? And once again I have only had him for 5 days now so please no negative comments on his weight because he looks thin in the pics. Thank you!

Attachment 133041

Attachment 133042

Attachment 133043

Attachment 133044

Icrazyaboutu 03-15-2013 06:04 AM

Paint is a breed. Not a color...

I don't think there is any way to tell if he is a paint horse or if he simply has the pinto coloring unless you have his papers. But there may be some breed expert on here who could make an educated guess...

xoxoNohea 03-15-2013 06:16 AM

I know that paint is a breed I was just trying to ask a quick question. Like does he look like he is actually a "Paint" or does he look like a different breed with the sorrel overo color pattern. Thanks :)

CLaPorte432 03-15-2013 07:42 AM

889 Attachment(s)
He'll only be considered a Paint if he has APHA paperwork.

If you dont have papers in hand, he's a Grade Pinto. A very cute Grade Pinto. Good for you for rescuing him.
Posted via Mobile Device

Faceman 03-15-2013 09:44 AM

In answer to your question, there is no way to know. He could be a registered Paint with lost papers, an unregistered Paint, or a cross with any of several breeds, in which case he would be a Pinto.

Papers/registration do not define the difference between a grade horse and one that is a breed, but known ancestry does, and as long as his ancestry is unknown he would be considered grade...

xoxoNohea 03-15-2013 07:41 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies. He does not have any paperwork but his vet paperwork has him listed as a Paint and that's why I was curious. So I guess from now on he is a Pinto until I can, or if I can, find out anything else about his blood lines.

GoGoJoeGranny 03-15-2013 08:06 PM

He is adorable, :clap: for rescuing him! I can't answer your question, but just wanted to support you in your efforts of giving a "throw away" a home :-)

DraftyAiresMum 03-15-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoNohea (Post 1939668)
Thank you everyone for your replies. He does not have any paperwork but his vet paperwork has him listed as a Paint and that's why I was curious. So I guess from now on he is a Pinto until I can, or if I can, find out anything else about his blood lines.

Most people (even vets) don't know or even care about the difference between a paint and a pinto. If it shows a color pattern, it's a paint, in their way of thinking. My gelding is a paint/Percheron cross with loud pinto coloring (his sire was APHA). My old BO, even knowing that he wasn't full paint, still called him a paint. It really wasn't until recent years that people began to really make the distinction between pinto and paint.

Also, since pinto isn't technically a breed, it's a "color," the vet wouldn't want to put that in the "breed" line of his paperwork.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kayella 03-15-2013 08:32 PM

I would have no idea as to what breed he is. He is a definite cutie, though.

Just as a side note, have you wormed him? I'd get a fecal done, see what worms he has, and worm him for those so he can gain the weight faster. :)

xoxoNohea 03-15-2013 10:50 PM

I haven't wormed him but I plan on doing that tomorrow:)