The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Hates Braided Manes (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/hates-braided-manes-156460/)

RememberMeForThis99 03-15-2013 12:27 PM

Hates Braided Manes

My pony, Bandit, will stand for mane braiding and everything. But when we ride he shakes loose running braids and won't keep any type of braid in overnight. I try not to do them to tight, but I guess I'm pulling some skin and he's being bothered. What can I do to braid a nice running braid that won't bother him so much? He has a decent length of mane and I braid it close to the crest so it stays in better. Thanks!!

Kayella 03-15-2013 12:55 PM

You're braiding it too tight. The closer to the crest it is, the tighter it is. Have you let him put his neck down with the braid in to test it? If it pulls taught, it's too tight and causing him discomfort. Braid as far away from the crest as possible then when you're done, pull it upwards to loosen the braid even more. I love doing running braids on my colt. His mane has just now gotten long enough to do them, but it's not yet long enough to leave in overnight.

RememberMeForThis99 03-15-2013 02:02 PM

Okay, thank you! How can I help it stay in if it's loose though? I have quic braid, though I've never used it. He also has a rather thick mane, would parting it and braiding on both sides help with keeping it in?

Kayella 03-15-2013 02:10 PM

I had a gelding who had a long thick mane. I'd braid it loosely and tie the braid off with some vet wrap. He would keep that braid in for a week at least. Some strands do fall out, but you can't help that unless you want to rebraid it every day.

Ideally, you really do want the braid to be loose. If he gets his hair caught on something, it's less likely to rip out a giant chunk if it's loosely braided rather than tightly braided. And there is nothing worse than a giant chunk of mane missing LOL. Are you braiding his hair up for a specific reason?

Clava 03-15-2013 02:26 PM

If you want to keep a running plait in then the best way is to stitch it in, I do this when I take my haffy hunting, but at the end of the day they still come out.

PunksTank 03-15-2013 02:52 PM

If his mane goes in different directions, braiding it all on one side can make it uncomfortable enough to rub. Some horses care, others don't.
If your not trying to train it to one side then braiding it where it naturally falls might be less bothersome.

RememberMeForThis99 03-15-2013 03:34 PM

Im just braiding it to keep it off his neck when we school flat work. I find running braids the quickest to do before the ride.

Ill try braiding it looser. I braid it on the naturally laying side. He never rubs he just shakes his head an awful lot, never does this without the braid.

What do you mean 'stich it in'? Like a button braid? Tie it up at the end? It comes loose closer to his poll first, the end stays in well.
Posted via Mobile Device