The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Endurance Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/)
-   -   Endurance horse conformation (Bleu) (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/endurance-horse-conformation-bleu-156508/)

Faustinblack 03-15-2013 10:27 PM

Endurance horse conformation (Bleu)

1 Attachment(s)
While I wait for the doc's go ahead to ride Bleu again, Ive got a question for ya'll. This is my boy Luin Bleu. Does he have the conformation for endurance? This thread is because I'm bored, and I'm curious about what ya'll think.

Joe4d 03-15-2013 11:02 PM

cannon bones and feet are first thing i would look at

Faustinblack 03-15-2013 11:07 PM

Let me see if I can find a pic of them
Posted via Mobile Device

Faustinblack 03-15-2013 11:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the only other one I have of him on my computer.

Joe4d 03-16-2013 12:44 PM

I would pass if I was shopping for one, Id ride him if I already had him, Nice withers, and back. Looks ok in the legs but not great. What is the diameter of his cannon bones ? What size renegades does he wear ? Whats he look like from the front, IE heart girth measurement, What is his resting heart rate ? he has a power rear as opposed to an endurance rear. May be better in barrel or sprint type stuff. Id want a flatter croup higher tail set, larger feet and thicker cannon bones if I was shopping for an endurance mount.
Your asking specifically about confirmation, lots of other things go into making a good endurance ride though. Best shape horse in the world wont do you any good if he is a nervous nelly and spikes a heartrate at the vet check due to nerves. Or wont eat drink on the trail. But from a picture or first look all you can go off of is looks.

phantomhorse13 03-16-2013 07:48 PM

You will be surprised what "conformation for endurance" can look like!

I think your horse looks balanced overall. He isnt the heaviest-boned horse ever, but his bone seems appropriate for his size. Assuming he has the mentality and metabolics, don't see any reason you shouldn't try!

Faustinblack 03-16-2013 09:41 PM

He wears a size zero boot
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 03-16-2013 10:49 PM

Im gonna guess mostly Quarter Horse ? kinda small feet, properly conditioned he may do ok, depends on your goals. I see Texas in your profile, heat and larger muscled breeds can be tough.

Faustinblack 03-16-2013 10:52 PM

He's a mustang actually, and his chest and back end are too narrow to be quarter horse. He's got the roman nose too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Faustinblack 03-16-2013 10:54 PM

I'll take some more pics tomorrow and post them. I guess the ones I posted him made him look bigger than he actually is. He's around 14.3 and itty bitty
Posted via Mobile Device