The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Bighorn trail saddle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/bighorn-trail-saddle-156534/)

garlicbunny 03-16-2013 10:18 AM

Bighorn trail saddle

While our almost new saddle is being looked at and hopefully being made right I am just lightly looking for a replacement in case it does not come back right. I found a saddle at a tack exchange last weekend and took her number. It was a Bighorn Trail saddle 17". I called her a couple days ago and she still has it, asking $650.00 for it. Anybody have this saddle and how do you like it? It was super comfy but am wondering if when it is on a horse if it perches you up off the horse. Also I have to ck again but I think it may be a flex tree and if so don't think it will work as my husband is over 200lbs. Any other saddle recommendations if this one doesn't work? thanks..

SouthernTrails 03-17-2013 10:34 AM

Do you have the Model number?

garlicbunny 03-18-2013 04:19 PM

no model number, will give her a call in the next couple weeks. I do know it is 3 years old.

SouthernTrails 03-18-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garlicbunny (Post 1944465)
no model number, will give her a call in the next couple weeks. I do know it is 3 years old.

With thee Model I can tell you everything about that Saddle, well as it was made new anyways :lol:

reigninseattle 03-18-2013 04:48 PM

There are lots of Big Horn trail saddles, but if you have a model number you can google "Big Horn saddle (model number)" and you should be able to find it. I had a Big Horn Walking Horse Saddle. It was a trail saddle. It was also very comfortable, but I did feel like I was perched up on top of my horse.

garlicbunny 03-18-2013 05:21 PM

she said say it was used on a big halter type QH.

deserthorsewoman 03-18-2013 08:05 PM

The ones I had and still have, sit wonderfully "in" the back of the horse, but I always had and have horses with withers. I don't think a Big Horn would work for a straight backed, mutton withered horse, at least not the " normal" ones as opposed to draft, gaited or mule saddles.

garlicbunny 03-19-2013 10:13 AM

well thats good, our horses are neither flat backed or mutton withered.:) I have a call into the person selling the saddle so just waiting for her reply now. Am planning on calling the saddle co. of the saddle that caused our mare problems, they will have had it a week tomorrow and haven't heard anything so will try to touch base today. Thanks all!

garlicbunny 03-19-2013 09:20 PM

The Bighorn saddle is model 1701 and has a flex tree so won't work as my hubby is over 200 lbs and I understand they are not for riders over 200 lbs. When I looked it up on the internet I found it is also a gaited saddle. The women whom owns it now said she used it on her big wide halter type QH. So guess I am a little confused... could a gaited saddle work for a beefy QH?

I did call the saddle co that i sent my saddle back to, so far they told that a 16" skirt was put into a 17" saddle, that it was too far back and something about the fleese/skirt aned the bow of the saddletree. He did assure me the tree was symetrical. My saddle fitter told me to remind them to ck the mesurement from the pommel to the cantle where it meets the seat as it was off about 1/2 ". Also it should be done in about a couple weeks.

SouthernTrails 03-19-2013 09:32 PM

Bighorn 1701

6.75" Gullet
17" Seat
5" Cantle height
26" Long Skirts
Weight 34lbs
Flex Tree
Average Price When New 1,100.00

Bighorn's Flex along the bars, front to back and quadrant to quadrant, I have never heard of a Bighorn to cause pain for the Horse.

There are some brands of Flex Trees that cause problems, but not a Bighorn

This Bighorn Saddle has extra Flair in the Leading edge of the Bar for the Gaited Horse which allows shoulder freedom, but does work well with QH's that have larger shoulders.