The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Buying a horse with potential Stringhalt? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/buying-horse-potential-stringhalt-156542/)

Cyrian 03-16-2013 12:16 PM

Buying a horse with potential Stringhalt?

I recently found this horse I'd like to purchase so we had him vetted and apparently there was a concern of a stringhalt problem. I didn't know what stringhalt was when I went to try out the horse but didn't notice anything unusual. The vet which vetted him rang up one of our local vets and told him the concerns, I then spoke to our local vet who strongly advised to thoroughly consider the choice.

So I rang up the dealer which was selling the horse and spoke to him and he said he didn't have stringhalt and that the vet thought it might have been but then just put it down to being "very active behind" I have been using this dealer for over 7 years and know many people who have used him also, I have always received quality horses and have never been lied to about a problem. The horse did pass the 5* vetting despite the stringhalt concerns, I am waiting to hear off the vet that vetted the horse to talk with him rather than the dealer. What do you guys think about this situation?

Sherian 03-16-2013 01:18 PM

Depends on what you are going to do with the horse. I've known horses that have hunted for years with no special maintenance that have stringhalt, or competed as jumpers happily. Wouldn't chance it for a hunter (it ruins the look) or dressage (could hurt your movement scores). For western I would assume the same - anything judged on a subjective basis no, a purely results oriented sport he'd be ok.

Cyrian 03-16-2013 01:20 PM

he would be a jumper. jumping 1.20/1.30

natisha 03-16-2013 01:29 PM

I'd go with the vet's advice instead of the person trying to sell the horse.

DraftyAiresMum 03-16-2013 01:38 PM

I'd trust your vet. I know a horse with severe stringhalt and he's basically a pasture pet. Can't be ridden at all. I believe he was 12 when I met him. It's a sad thing to watch, as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

NBEventer 03-16-2013 02:02 PM

If a vet is seeing stringhalt and you want to show jumpers at that level then you really should either pass on the horse, or if you are really wanting the horse, get a second opinion. But if there was suspect of stringhalt in a horse I wanted to show 1.30 I would be passing on the horse and keep looking.

Palomine 03-16-2013 02:48 PM

Pass on this one. You will be the one out the money if horse can't be ridden.

Beling 03-16-2013 04:20 PM

I agree that you should probably pass on this.

That said, my first horse had stringhalt. She was also a bag of bones, had a big abscess on her face, and no hair. Naturally, I fell in love with her right away. (At $50, this condemmed horse was affordable...)

Anyway, eventually she had a tendon removed (I think that's what they did) from each back leg, and for the most part, she looked normal, unless she was really upset or excited. I jumped her, but she always popped her fences (very low fences.)

Just to say stringhalt doesn't mean a horse is necessarily useless.

BevJacobsEquineMassage 03-16-2013 06:40 PM

I have heard of people maintaining horse with stringhalt at competition level with Vitamin B shots. I think Vit. E is also used. If my horse developed the condition, I would also use cold laser. But I probably would walk away from purchasing a horse with the problem.