The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Endurance Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/)
-   -   My QH colt - LD possibilities? (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/my-qh-colt-ld-possibilities-156552/)

jillybean19 03-16-2013 01:34 PM

My QH colt - LD possibilities?

3 Attachment(s)
I'm thinking back to the discussion earlier about types of muscle and how that affects endurance horses. My colt will be coming 3 this year and, even though I started him lightly last year (as in, not riding very often, mostly walking, a little trotting, and absolutely no loping), I'll be starting him from square one and mostly trail riding this year. Next year, though, he'll be old enough to being LD's in May and I'm wondering what you all think about his build for an endurance horse? He's quite muscular, but not a muscle-bound halter horse. He's more cow-horse bred.

Of course, It'll all depend on his attitude and willingness, and, even though I'd go slow and not worry about being competitive, I'm still not sure I want to start him quite so soon.

Lol that's a lot going on, I'm thinking about selling my current endurance horse since it's more reasonable and affordable to have just one horse at this point in my life, and this boy is my baby. I'd rather hold off on endurance than sell Flash (this horse), but it would be an extra bonus if I could at least do an occasional easy LD on him!

From last year (2 years old):

Attachment 133147

Of course, right now, he doesn't even look like a quarter horse lol:
Attachment 133146

grayshell38 03-16-2013 06:52 PM

I don't see anything glaringly wrong with him. Actually, he's very balanced considering his age and a good looking guy. I don't see any conformation issues that would keep him from being able to do LD.

phantomhorse13 03-16-2013 06:57 PM

I agree that nothing jumps out and screams soundness issue. A lot will just depend on how naturally hot he runs and how he recovers.

I love that he is nibbling the rope in the last picture. Such a baby thing!

Faustinblack 03-16-2013 11:12 PM

Pretty boy.
Posted via Mobile Device