The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   I got a tie down:) (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/i-got-tie-down-156566/)

Kelsie1 03-16-2013 04:32 PM

I got a tie down:)

Ok so almost everyone on here is telling me no I shouldn't use a tie down and yes everyone is different with the tack and equipment they use and how they train there horses!! But yes I got a tie down about two weeks ago, I got him use to it at home doing some exercise in the arena and walking and trotting through the barrels pattern usuing it, so today I had a barrel race and ran and he didn't even think about trying to pass up the first barrel he turned it really good and I'm so proud of him!!!:-) And he didn't have wide arched out turns they were good tight turns (keep in mind that he always passed the first barrel up)!!!! I know that some of you are going to not like that I am now useing a tie down but you know what he's my horse and I chose to use a tie down!! It's not like it's going to kill him it's fine!! Everyone and I mean everyone of my friends that I barrel race with all have tie downs and everyone at the barrel race had tie downs!! I'm so proud of him!! I'll try to get the video up soon:-)

CLaPorte432 03-16-2013 04:55 PM

Well...Good luck with that...
Posted via Mobile Device

Kelsie1 03-16-2013 04:58 PM

Thank You!

Prinella 03-16-2013 04:59 PM

yup force his head down it'll supple him up nicely and create no resistance whatsoever
[/sarcasm]

Kelsie1 03-16-2013 05:07 PM

Okay you know what the top competer's that I run against and the world champions all use tie downs, So I don't get what the heck you guys are all arguing with me about??????????????????????? Even all my Charmayne James, Martha Josey, and Sharon Camarillo books i have say that you need a tie down if you have certain problems and there's a list of things!!!

QHriderKE 03-16-2013 05:10 PM

I believe your problems are fixable with good training, not a tool that you're using as a cover up.

equiniphile 03-16-2013 05:11 PM

I don't barrel race, but let me ask you this: What is the goal you are trying to accomplish by using a tie-down? Can you tell us what you think it's purpose is?

Skipping the first barrel.....well, that's a MAJOR training hole.

Kelsie1 03-16-2013 05:15 PM

Well first of all it proved today that it helped him not pass up the first barrel and he would always pass it up and second is turns felt a lot better to me and they looked a lot better too!!!

BarrelRacingLvr 03-16-2013 05:17 PM

So just because a BOOK or DVD says you need to use one, somebody who wins uses one, your friends, trainer, uses one it means YOU HAVE to use one?

Good lord....this is why uneducated, arrogant kids should NOT be trying to train barrel horses.

I am walking away before I REALLY say what is on my mind!
Posted via Mobile Device

cowgirl4753 03-16-2013 05:18 PM

Another thought I'm going to toss out there, maybe he was way better at the barrel race because you took him back to basics for a few weeks, and really had nothing to do with the tie down?
Dont get me wrong I've used a tie down back when I was training my mare for roping, but eventually graduated her out if it as she had learned to balance herself and no longer needed it. I am now barrel racing and nobody I run with uses them and neither do I. I don't understand the point in barrel racing, maybe you know something I don't?
Posted via Mobile Device