The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   How long to wait after arrival to start riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/how-long-wait-after-arrival-start-156570/)

5Bijou5 03-16-2013 06:41 PM

How long to wait after arrival to start riding

Hi, sorry this is my very first time posting so if I am doing something wrong lemme know.

How long should a person wait before riding a new horse? I have heard some say to give them a week to settle in, others say 3 days, and recently people have been telling me you can ride them the day they arrive, right off the trailer. What's your opinion?
I just got my new horse delivered yesterday and I think I am going to start taking him for walks over the next couple of days, then a few days of ground work in the arena then may start riding next week. Does this seem suitable to you?

BornToRun 03-16-2013 06:45 PM

Welcome to the forum!
IMHO I think it really depends on the horse. If it was me, I wouldn't get on a new horse right off the trailer. When I got my gelding it was a few days after I bought him, and the same when I moved barns. My mare was a little different when I got her because she was barely broke. I'd start with your in hand work and see how relaxed the horse is first.

Phly 03-16-2013 06:52 PM

If hauled a long way, such as days, I'd give em a day or two rest. If only a few hours, lets ride! I don't see how moving barns, switching owners is any different then going to a show. I know there are exceptions, but a good healthy ridin horse should be rideable straight away.
Posted via Mobile Device

ponylover08 03-16-2013 08:08 PM

Hi guys, this is my first post on this forum. It looks cool! :) So what I usually do, is when a new horse comes in, I leave him/her for a day to let him/her get used to it's new surroundings, and just have time to settle in and rest, so he/she will be ready the next day.

Joe4d 03-16-2013 08:38 PM

not so much worrying about horse, I am worrying about me. I like to get to know this 1000 lb animal before I climb on board. I pretty much do just like the OP, bit of getting to know, do some lead line walks, bit of ground work. Then I very politely ask them not to kill me. The climb on up. Afterwards I remember to thank them for their lack of homicidal tendencies.

Phly 03-16-2013 08:43 PM

Joe, you are on a roll today!!!!!!! Hahaha!
Posted via Mobile Device

bsms 03-16-2013 10:07 PM

Well, my daughter-in-law tried to ride Cowboy the morning after he arrived. She ended up stopping his bolt by running him into a fence. She asked me to try. This was taken part way thru the 10 minutes it took to convince him that stop meant, at a minimum, slow way down...

Fast forward 16 months. Cowboy hadn't been ridden in 3 months. My wife hasn't ridden in 6 months. My daughter & I were taking Trooper and Mia out for a short ride in the desert, and my wife wanted to ride along with us. That probably wasn't a good combination...but Cowboy walked alongside Mia like a perfect gentleman.

Sometimes it takes a horse a little while to settle in. Mia spent her first 4 months with us getting colic, and breaking into a heavy, foamy sweat just standing in the corral. Other horses can be ridden the first day, with less depressing results than Cowboy's...:oops:

freia 03-16-2013 10:41 PM

What's the hurry? Get to know him. You and he will both know when it's time to ride. I've had a horse that I rode the afternoon he arrived, and another where I waited a couple of weeks. Listen to the signals your horse gives you. You'll know.

ponylover08 03-16-2013 10:46 PM

You know what, thats a really good idea. Spend time with your horse and get to know him! :)

Black Beauty 94 03-16-2013 10:55 PM

I totally agree, I usually wait a week. Spend time with him/her and get to know them and get them to trust you. The last thing you want to do it start off on a bad foot...
Quote:

Originally Posted by freia (Post 1941078)
What's the hurry? Get to know him. You and he will both know when it's time to ride. I've had a horse that I rode the afternoon he arrived, and another where I waited a couple of weeks. Listen to the signals your horse gives you. You'll know.