The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   question on hoof care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/question-hoof-care-156574/)

honeyluv 03-16-2013 05:56 PM

question on hoof care

I was told today a farrier scooped out the center around the frog of a horses hoof! Its the first time I have ever seen that done. Usually the hoof is trimmed and then filed. The horse is uncomfortable now. I was told she woukd be for a few days maybe weeks. Why would this be done???
Posted via Mobile Device

honeyluv 03-16-2013 06:12 PM

Would love to get some feedback on this... :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 03-16-2013 09:11 PM

If your horse wasn't lame before the farrier came, it definitely shouldn't be after. The sulcus, the split between the heel bulbs can be cleaned out, carefully but that still shouldn't create a sore horse.

Missy May 03-17-2013 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeyluv (Post 1940730)
I was told today a farrier scooped out the center around the frog of a horses hoof! Its the first time I have ever seen that done. Usually the hoof is trimmed and then filed. The horse is uncomfortable now. I was told she woukd be for a few days maybe weeks. Why would this be done???
Posted via Mobile Device

I am not sure I understand your post. Do you mean he cleaned it or he trimmed it out? Did he not trim the hoof wall? Either way, like saddle said, if he wasn't uncomfy before,.....

Saengchwi 03-17-2013 01:13 AM

Is it possible that the part he 'scooped out' was infected with thrush?

When we got our pony, she had bad feet that had only gotten rare, sporadic care for 3 years. Most of the ponies had feet that looked like elf shoes because they stuck out so far in front. She'd also been kept in a small paddock with several other ponies and had never been outside of that paddock. Her frogs were a mess. Our farrier showed me how to soak her feet before cleaning them so that I could work on them daily until they improved without hurting her good tissue. I was amazed at how much dead frog scrapped away after that first soak. Her frogs before and after looked completely different in shape and everything else. She was never sore after this was done though. Shes got great feet now btw. =)

I'm inexperienced and agree that your horse shouldn't be sore afterwards...but I'm wondering if the farrier was trying to remove infected, dead flesh and went too deep?

honeyluv 03-17-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1941043)
If your horse wasn't lame before the farrier came, it definitely shouldn't be after. The sulcus, the split between the heel bulbs can be cleaned out, carefully but that still shouldn't create a sore horse.

I think I need to find a new farrier!! I'm so upset! Honey has been thru a lot of B.S since I adopted her she has been in BLISS♥ the last thing I will let happen is someone cause her anymore pain :(
Posted via Mobile Device

honeyluv 03-17-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeyluv (Post 1941553)
I think I need to find a new farrier!! I'm so upset! Honey has been thru a lot of B.S since I adopted her she has been in BLISS♥ the last thing I will let happen is someone cause her anymore pain :(
Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device

honeyluv 03-17-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeyluv (Post 1941555)
Posted via Mobile Device

He didn't just clean(pick) the hoof out he scraped it out.
Posted via Mobile Device

honeyluv 03-17-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1941043)

it wasn't just cleaned out he scraped it out? Apparently all the horses that see him, afterwards they aee sore! I think ill bring my own farrier into the boarding stable
Posted via Mobile Device

acorn 03-17-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeyluv (Post 1941558)
He didn't just clean(pick) the hoof out he scraped it out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Do you mean the frog or sole?