The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Those spur of the moment decisions / purchases (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/those-spur-moment-decisions-purchases-156587/)

Prinella 03-16-2013 07:27 PM

Those spur of the moment decisions / purchases

What are the spur of the moment decisions or purchases you have made and worked brilliantly.

I was at work playing on Ebay, empty bars are no fun. I saw a pretty good float going cheap. I started browsing, and ended up sending the seller a message asking if he'd take 2000 for it it was up starting at 2700 and had been listed 3 times.

then promptly called mum and explained what I'd done she wasn't happy, turns out i don't have 2000. oops so i researched lenders and went into the credit the next day. 2 days later I've been approved for a 4000 loan with repayments at 25 per week over 4 years. a week later and hors searching the original float I'd seen was mine.

He took 2500 :D

it took a week and a half to happen but the decision to buy a float happened in 5 mins :D

DraftyAiresMum 03-16-2013 07:42 PM

My most recent spur-of-the-moment purchase was my puppy, Abby. She's perfect for us.

My most recent spur-of-the-moment decision was saying yes to going out on a first date with my (now) boyfriend. Met him at work and a couple of weeks later, he asked me out on a date. We've been dating ever since (mid-June) and we're planning on getting married in the next year or so.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saskia 03-16-2013 08:05 PM

When I was a kid I had a horse and wasn't looking for another. We saw an add for two year old clydie crosses in the paper, went to look at them that day and bought one. It was a bit random but she was great.

TurkishVan 03-16-2013 09:37 PM

Just curious- What do you mean by "float"?

Buying my horse was definitely a spur of the moment decision. :lol:

I wanted to ride a Friesian for my birthday so I-shamefully, I know!-looked up Friesians for sale around the area. I found one gelding, but he was so sway-backed that I didn't even want to get on him, for fear of hurting him. Then I found an ad for my girl, and went up to see her. I have no idea why I went to "see" an unbroke not-even 2 year old, but I'm glad that I did! :D She was actually pretty homely looking at the time (growing pains, haha!), but I just felt like we "clicked". Never had that kind of connection with a horse, really. Sort of scary! Needless to say, I haggled (because I'm no piggy bank!), and the owner thought we were a good match, so she let me have her for a very good price.
If my boyfriend knew that I'd spent over $3,000 on a horse, he'd have a fit. Personally, I've never regretted it. She's a doll, and tells me more about myself and life than I've ever realized. She's turning into quite the beautiful flirt, too! But she could still be as homely as before, and she'd still be the apple of my eye! :D

GallopingGuitarist 03-16-2013 09:44 PM

My most recent big spur of the moment thing would be donating and then purchasing my mare from a rescue. I still haven't seen the horse in real life. Hopefully at the end of this month. Most of my decisions tend to be spur of the moment.

DraftyAiresMum 03-16-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurkishVan (Post 1940992)
Just curious- What do you mean by "float"?

Also known as a "horse trailer" here in the States. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

beverleyy 03-16-2013 11:19 PM

Both my mares:lol:

My pony I actually leased for 8 years before I bought her. I always knew one day I would, but how it happened was a quick e-mail of "she's for sale, do you want her" and me phoning the owner up saying "YES" and then a few hours later driving to her house to sign the papers. It was a hectic day, and I felt like I was in a dream for at least a few months after - I mean, she is my heart horse and to actually legally own her is amazing.

My other mare I bought on a whim as well. I had been halfways searching off and on for 2-3 years, then came across her add when I had given up searching. Wasn't seriously looking. Her had gave little info and no pictures. She was MUCH larger than I was used to and I hadn't dealt with a horse so green in a few years. She was for a 2 day a week lease, had been backed 4 times. Something was telling me to contact the owner anyway. So I did, and I went to try her later that week, immediately fell in love and told her owner I'd love to lease her. A couple days later I get a phone call from the owner asking if I'd like to buy her. I said no, I was not in a position to buy her but really did want to lease her for that summer and then possibly consider a purchase. The next week I signed her papers:lol: Somehow I just knew it was the right thing to do. I have owned that mare for 2 years now, we have had a few huge ups and downs, but I wouldn't trade her for the world.

Also, not on the topic of horses, my boyfriend owned a lovely 1980 ford f100. I was in love with this truck. Then our good friend's dad wanted to buy it. I, then and there, decided I had to buy that truck. So I did. 4 months later I sold it to the friend's dad.

Also not really a purchase, but kind of.. in October last year my cat had a freak accident and broke his leg. My only option was put him down or surgery. Anyone who knows me knows how in love with this cat I am (he was rescued by my best friend at 2 weeks old, and she didn't know what to do with him, and me being the experienced cat owner (on a whim) told her to drop him at my place ...at 2am) anyway. Without even thinking it over, I said yes to his surgery. 5 months later and I am SO glad I said yes to the surgery, and so is he. =)

Wildcard 03-17-2013 04:18 AM

My biggest spur of the moment decision was adopting my blm kiger mustang ace. Since I'm in canada the horse I adopt would have to wait in the USA until titled, and I decided I wanted to look into the mustangs, discovered that the kiger mustang adoptions are only held every four years and happened to be october 2011! I found this out two weeks before I was leaving for Australia for a year so I thought this would be perfect timing to get my horse so I wouldn't be sad waiting the year for him to come up since I wouldn't be there anyway! And it just so happened that at the auction, my first choice didn't look as good as the pictures, my second choice went was above my
Price range but my third choice I managed to get and his number happened to be 1240, my families old house number and a number we have been using for 20 years for different things. And it was the best decision I've vet made, he is the most amazing horse I could eer have asked horse, since because he was wild he could have turned out good or bad. Hence his name, Ace "wild card". :)
Posted via Mobile Device