The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Riding with an old injury (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/riding-old-injury-156615/)

backinthetack 03-16-2013 10:24 PM

Riding with an old injury

Hi everyone!
I've been riding for years but took a two year hiatus for financial reasons. I just started lessons again.

Unfortunately, before my hiatus I suffered from a hip subluxation that has left my hip adducter (the muscles that pull your leg towards your centre line, or in, the muscles you use to squeeze your legs together) really, really weak.

Not only will my heel not go down on that side (feels like it is though :cry:) but I have zero contact power with the horse on that side. My new instructor almost put me on a lunge line when I assured her I could ride a circle the opposite way. When I ride to right (my injured side), I can't stay on the rail, bend or even ride circles (they get smaller and smaller).

Further, I cannot get a good extended anything. Apparently I'm pumping... i get told to use more leg but I have no more leg to give! It was completely exhausting!!!

I feel like if I wore a spore on only the right side, it might help? But the instructor won't even let me have a crop. The only way I can get the horse to move is to kick... which I know is such a beginner thing to do but I really have zero, zero, zero strength in that leg.

I think I'm really coming off as a poor rider.

Paintlover1965 03-16-2013 10:33 PM

What about seeing a physiotherapist to assist in strengthening your hip adductors. If thats not an option then I'm sure there are online physic sites that demo these type of exercises. I did a search for a few injuries online for myself a few years ago when I injured my sacroiliac joint and found lots of useful info. I'm a healthcare professional and was able to sort though to find the best ones possible. I wish you good luck returning to riding. Don't give up even when it's hard for you. It will pay off remember, injuries take time to heal.

backinthetack 03-16-2013 10:38 PM

I went to physiotherapy for 2 years. Physiotherapist told me that this is pretty well as good as it gets.

I also have arthritis in the joint now, but the motion of the horse actually relieves the pain.

It all reminds me of when I was a kid and didn't have enough leg power and the instructor would yell "USE YOUR LEGS!!! BEND THAT HORSE"

except now I really, really can't. I get the philosophy that you shouldn't use aids such as crops and spurs before using your legs... but I know how to ride.. i just can't.

Paintlover1965 03-16-2013 10:54 PM

If your PT said that you wouldn't get much further than you are now then you may need to use an aid to assist with leg pressure like a spur. Maybe your instructor isn't familiar teaching people who have had injuries in the past. Maybe you need to show your instructor you really not capable of what they are asking without a little help from an aid. If not, try someone else who is a little more accommodating if possible.