The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Help with a TB that bucks after a jump-XP (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/help-tb-bucks-after-jump-xp-156633/)

mustbemonroe 03-17-2013 03:10 AM

Help with a TB that bucks after a jump-XP

I XP's this in the Training forum, but figured it wouldn't hurt to post here since we do combined training :)

I have had Monroe for almost 9 years now, and he has always been a little 'over exuberant' when he jumps. The main issue is how mad he gets if he knocks a rail-upon landing, he UNLOADS with an explosive buck or 2. I've always stayed on and been able to ride through to the next jump except for today- he bucked as soon as he landed from the (ugly) jump, and I caught so much air time I could hear all of the gasps and comments on my long descent back to Earth.

The jump was a tiny (like 2 ft) square oxer. It was off a turn and we were cantering to it. I gave him a good approach but he was getting squirrely and got all crooked in his body and wanted to take off long but I rode him to the correct spot. He jumped really flat and funky and caught the poles with his hind legs. I got back on and trotted a few more fences (including the oxer) before calling it-my poor bum was too sore for much more.

What can I do to help stop this behavior? I should add he only does this when schooling at home. We can be schooling somewhere else or showing and he is way more focused on his job and less temperamental on knocking rails. He also only does this when I ride him, though the only other person who ever rides him is my trainer, and I think he's scare of her a little, as we all are ;) ANY tips would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

SkyeMac 03-17-2013 03:58 PM

Have you tried really getting him on his butt? Maybe if you do lots of half-halts on your approach, almost thinking "halt", it might help him focus?

It sounds like you know how to sit a buck, but just remember, shoulders up, make sure he keeps going forward and forget it happened. You might be anticipating and subconsciously asking for it as well.

mustbemonroe 03-17-2013 04:54 PM

Thanks! Half the time he responds well to a half halt and the other half he doesn't...if he gets all wound up (like he was) stick his head up in the air, hollow his back, and run through my aids. When he does that is when the jumps get ugly. I'm sure I'm not doing all I can in these situations...I go into survival mode and just try to hang on!

SkyeMac 03-17-2013 05:22 PM

If you go into "survival mode" he might also be picking up some nervousness from you. I got a really good tip at a clinic a couple weeks ago for green/difficult jumpers. When you're approaching the jump or if they're getting rushy or acting up like your guy, take a deep breath and slowly blow out. If you want to sing/talk it might help too. It'll remind you to breathe and help you relax, which in turn will help your guy relax.

NaeNae87 03-18-2013 12:10 AM

Is he sore?
Bucking after a jump can indicate pain in the body either from saddle fit, feet or wear and tear.

mustbemonroe 03-18-2013 03:32 AM

He only bucks when he knocks a rail. Also, he only does it at home. We were doing a course yesterday and he jumped everything great until he took the oxer sloppy.

Jacqua Stud 03-18-2013 04:34 AM

When he was trained to jump did they ever negetively reinforce knocking poles down? (i.e a small electric shock/ abusive whipping every time a rail hit the ground) Just that if he was it could be a learnt behaivour in respose to the pain, and know he just associates hitting the rail with bucking.

Otherwise he just could've have started it with a previous owner and they were never able to correct it, it's a bit hard without being able to ask them hey :-) have you tried doing a circle just after the jump? Sometimes it can make them think of something other than bucking (and being eliminated by crossing tracks is much better in my eyes, compared to being eliminated by falling off!), but then again if he just starts bucking as soon as you land, there isn't much you could really do except hold on lol

mustbemonroe 03-20-2013 03:24 PM

[QUOTE=Jacqua Stud;1942888]When he was trained to jump did they ever negetively reinforce knocking poles down? (i.e a small electric shock/ abusive whipping every time a rail hit the ground) Just that if he was it could be a learnt behaivour in respose to the pain, and know he just associates hitting the rail with bucking.

Otherwise he just could've have started it with a previous owner and they were never able to correct it, it's a bit hard without being able to ask them hey :-) have you tried doing a circle just after the jump? Sometimes it can make them think of something other than bucking (and being eliminated by crossing tracks is much better in my eyes, compared to being eliminated by falling off!), but then again if he just starts bucking as soon as you land, there isn't much you could really do except hold on lol[/QU

I bought him from a hunter barn, so there is a possibility of that! I never thought of that. They got him directly off the track and he was only there for about 4 mos before I picked him up. When he bucks, it's usually immediately after he lands so I don't even get the opportunity to sit up lol.

picup436 03-20-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mustbemonroe (Post 1941970)
Thanks! Half the time he responds well to a half halt and the other half he doesn't...if he gets all wound up (like he was) stick his head up in the air, hollow his back, and run through my aids. When he does that is when the jumps get ugly. I'm sure I'm not doing all I can in these situations...I go into survival mode and just try to hang on!

When he does this at home, I would pull out before the jump. There is no point practicing something badly. Get him back listening to you and get the canter controlled, nice, soft and on the aids before you approach the jump again.

My mare used to be exactly the same, she would be absolutely furious that she pulled a rail (even touching it she would buck), and it was what worked the best for us.