The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   Do reiners look down when riding? (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/do-reiners-look-down-when-riding-156649/)

horselessmom 03-17-2013 12:15 PM

Do reiners look down when riding?

My daughter who's just a beginner, switched from an "eventing" barn to a "reining" barn.

Her new instructor demonstrated what she could do on her horse, and through the entire routine her head was almost hanging down. She never raised her eyes, even, except for when she passed a window and glanced out.

I'm new to this, and in her old barn it was all "eyes up eyes up eyes up."

What's that all about? Is it a different style?

toto 03-17-2013 12:22 PM

No, you look where you want your horse to go when riding in any discipline.. especially for reining.. what all was she demonstrating? Id like to see a vid of the trainer doing spins blindly, lol. :-P

horselessmom 03-17-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toto (Post 1941611)
No, you look where you want your horse to go when riding in any discipline.. especially for reining.. what all was she demonstrating? Id like to see a vid of the trainer doing spins blindly, lol. :-P

She did some trotting, cantering, side-passing at different gaits, going backwards, changing directions. Nothing terribly "impressive" to my untrained eyes :lol:, but my kid was impressed. :D She didn't do any spins.

Her head was practically hanging, as if she were nodding off. I really don't want to find out that she's an incompetent reiner! :lol: I really like the way she teaches! We just went through this big thing of changing barns.

toto 03-17-2013 12:50 PM

Just basic things.. ive never seen a trainer not look where they wanted their horse to go unless demonstrating what not to do, lol. I would think shed be better disciplined than that..

maybe she was sleepy? :-P

horselessmom 03-17-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toto (Post 1941650)
Just basic things.. ive never seen a trainer not look where they wanted their horse to go unless demonstrating what not to do, lol. I would think shed be better disciplined than that..

maybe she was sleepy? :-P

Well, I'm glad that after a year in an eventing barn my kid has it drilled into her to look up.:D

nvr2many 03-17-2013 01:09 PM

Ask her. She could have been watching the horse to see maybe something she was working on, who knows. And you will not until you ask! :-)
Oh and be sure to let us know what she says, lol.

Muppetgirl 03-17-2013 01:53 PM

Absolutely not.....if you look down, that is where your horse goes. It's one of my biggest pet peeves, especially in warm up pens - I have warmed up friends horses for them at shows (plan on showing myself soon!!) and its not a place to be looking down! Heads up, looking forward!

horselessmom 03-17-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvr2many (Post 1941680)
Ask her. She could have been watching the horse to see maybe something she was working on, who knows. And you will not until you ask! :-)
Oh and be sure to let us know what she says, lol.

I'm reluctant to ask as not to sound critical of her riding, especially as she knows I'm a horse noob.

If she does it again, I'll ask. :D

Iseul 03-17-2013 04:45 PM

Just ask. If she knows you're a horse noob she should understand that maybe you want to learn something here and there.

Maybe she has a reason, maybe she's crazy. Won't know until you ask.
Posted via Mobile Device

horselessmom 03-17-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iseul (Post 1941960)
Just ask. If she knows you're a horse noob she should understand that maybe you want to learn something here and there.

Maybe she has a reason, maybe she's crazy. Won't know until you ask.
Posted via Mobile Device

I really don't want to find out if she's crazy. :D I want to live in ignorance for a bit longer. We don't have another barn to move to. :lol:

As long as she isn't teaching my daughter to look down, I'm okay with it for now.

I just wanted to doublecheck here whether there's this "super relaxed / half asleep" reining fad. She was super active during the rest of the lesson, so I don't think she was falling asleep for real there. :D

Some trainers are better trainers than riders. I played tennis as a kid, and my coach couldn't play at all, but she was considered the best coach in the region and her students were consistently winning.