The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   What do you think he is? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/what-do-you-think-he-156658/)

wausuaw 03-17-2013 02:07 PM

What do you think he is?

1 Attachment(s)
Looking at various threads on "whatchamacallit" horses, figured I'd pipe in.

What do you think this guy is? We have no idea about ANY type of background, and I've heard so many different ideas. The most often I hear are some kinda Morgan cross, mustang, and Tennesee Walker.

His color is a bit different. He's very red (more so than a lot of sorrels, thou more obvious in the summer) and has darkened points on his hocks/hocks (not black, just darker) and blonde fetlocks and patterns, as well as a darker "stripe" down his back (though not as pronounced as your average dun).

He has a higher-stepped trot (not overly exaggerated, and is relaxed giving him a more fluid look to him). He rarely canters unless pushed into it, but the canter is there and more rocking-horse like.

He's about 2 years old, and about 12h. He was pretty skinny when I got him, and he's developed a lot of "stock" to him since then (which surprised me).

Disclaimer- as I've seen a few people do the "I know, I just want to see if you know" posts, this is not that. I'm just curious what people think of him. I have no idea "what" he is and probably will never know. Also, I can't upload more than one photo at a time, so I'll have to post succession of replies.

wausuaw 03-17-2013 02:08 PM

Standing around after some medicine...

wausuaw 03-17-2013 02:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Standing around after some medicine...
Trying again..

wausuaw 03-17-2013 02:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Other side...

Dustbunny 03-17-2013 02:12 PM

What a cute face.
Do you have any body shots?

DraftyAiresMum 03-17-2013 02:12 PM

Only 12h at 2?! He's gonna be a little guy! My boy was 15hh at 2. Lol

As short as he is, I'd expect him to be some sort of pony cross. What breeds are the most common in your area (for example, in my area, you see mostly QHs, paints, TBs and TWHs, so more than likely, any grade is a mix of those)?

ETA- Looking at the full body pic, his head is very clunky pony to me. Heck, his head reminds me of a Shetland. But his body reminds me of a good ol' QH. My old BO has several QHs that could be his body double.
Posted via Mobile Device

wausuaw 03-17-2013 02:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The back...

wausuaw 03-17-2013 02:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The "stripe"

DraftyAiresMum 03-17-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wausuaw (Post 1941837)
The "stripe"

That's just counter shading.

He's definitely just a bright chestnut/sorrel, as far as color goes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dustbunny 03-17-2013 02:20 PM

Oooops! How did I miss those shots? Oh, I see... it was timing of the posts.
Sorry, I don't have a clue. Just seeing the head only I might have thought maybe some Morgan. It will be interesting to see what others think.