The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack Reviews (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/)
-   -   Thorowgood T8 High Wither (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/thorowgood-t8-high-wither-156673/)

KSchingen 03-17-2013 05:07 PM

Thorowgood T8 High Wither

Has anyone used one of these? I have a shark finned thoroughbred who is proving impossible to fit with a regular saddle. I can order a Thorowood T8 High Wither from Europe for about $645. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.. Interchangeable gullets, adjustable blocking, and wool flocking. Any opinions on this saddle?

Sunnylucy 03-18-2013 07:54 PM

Hi, I have a Tb with sky high withers and i bought an older, used high wither Thorogood dressage saddle that fits him great with plenty of clearance. Its an older one so nothing is changeable or adjustable on it, but it fits him without any extra padding or anything. I'm certainly no saddle expert but just wanted to let you know my experience. Its looks nice too. Good luck with saddle search, it is not fun.

P.S. See if they can send out a test model so you can see if it fits or if they take returns.

evilamc 03-18-2013 09:06 PM

If you aren't in a hurry and aren't set on the t8, sometimes you can get the t4's from dover for 400-500, thats what I just did, just keep an eye out at thefind.com

KSchingen 03-18-2013 09:35 PM

Dover only carries them in black, I wouldnt mind having the T4 even though I like the T8 better, but I'm going to be showing hunters and it's kind of frowned upon to use a black saddle

evilamc 03-18-2013 09:37 PM

ah! ok, thats too bad! I haven't got to try mine yet :( had to order a wider gullet haha...my horse was kind of goofy though, the first time I showed it to him and tried it on him he FREAKED OUT! We don't know if it was because its synthetic and smells different or what but he did NOT want it near him lol!

KSchingen 03-18-2013 09:41 PM

I'd be willing to bet it's because it's synthetic and new if hes used to older leather. Let me know how you like it when you try it!

MyBoyPuck 03-19-2013 07:20 PM

There are quite a few places that sell the T8 in the US, but they are $895 here. I have two Thorowgood high wither models. They have more than enough clearance for shark fin TBs. Love them!

KSchingen 03-19-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 1960402)
There are quite a few places that sell the T8 in the US, but they are $895 here. I have two Thorowgood high wither models. They have more than enough clearance for shark fin TBs. Love them!

Do you know where?

MyBoyPuck 03-19-2013 09:49 PM

Saddles :: Thorowgood Saddles - Hastilow Competition Saddles, USA

Scroll to the bottom for the T8s. Last I checked, they had them in stock. I'm not positive on the high wither version though.

KSchingen 03-19-2013 10:34 PM

Doesnt look like they have the high wither ones :(