The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Saving up for a horse tips (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/saving-up-horse-tips-156678/)

regenfliege 03-17-2013 05:01 PM

Saving up for a horse tips

Hey, everyone. I'm 17 years old (almost 18) and am starting college soon.

I have a stable that I currently ride at that is $175 a month for full care (full care at this stable is like field care, but includes vet, farrier and all the other things). I absolutely love the stable. It's not the prettiest but the owner cares for all horses, and just loves caring for them. Everyone there is so sweet and considerate and the horses are happy. (Local rescues often ask for her to foster). So that part is completely settled that's where I will board when I do get a horse.
I know I will not be able to get a horse right this second, I've been waiting for 13 years I can wait a little longer lol. I'm just starting college and have a health issue I need to care of first. Obviously college and health comes first, and I will be paying for most of my college tuition. I do want to start saving now, though so I can get a jump start. My goal is to get a horse within the next 2 years. (If that doesn't happen though it's OK) I will adopt a rescue horse, I am experienced and am willing to adopt a greener horse. The adoption fees range from $200-$600 dollars at the rescue I volunteer at.

Does anyone have any tips for saving up for a horse while in college? I will be riding english, and need to account for any emergencies that come up with the horse or stable. I know I need a blanket or two (it gets cold here in winter) and other equipment. No showing, just trail riding and jumping.

Sorry, for all the details. I just want to make sure I don't leave anything out.

michaelvanessa 03-17-2013 05:53 PM

saveing for a horse

hiya here are some good tips have a jar at home and put all of your lose change from pennys to dimes ect and open a bank account were you can save it will also make you a little intrest so every little helps.
ok this is my game plan so its acheavable.
i work for the railroad so i earned a bit of mony here as we had the olympic games here.
i started to save i also sold my old motor horsebox for 1500 so i had 4000 quincu came up for sale so i brought him for 2500 so i was back to square one with my earnings i ploughed into saveing and with overtime and a little bonus i have now acheaved 5002.29 in the bank so with my next pay cheque i hope to put 400 and open an isa account so that will be makeing about 15 odd a month.
i have also just took out a loan for 1000 and added 200 and brought a second hand trailer off of a frend he wanted 1000 but i gave him 1200.
the loan is a bridge so i can get my isa target.
also i got a piggy bank which i got from a garage and i put all my lose change in and also i find pennys and other coins on the street and some times coins on the railroad tracks at the stations.
so thats amassed at the moment 557.30 so that is going to be ploughed in to the isa and make a new starting base for my saveings again.
the intrest on the saveings is 2.29 per month i know its not much but an inch is better than a mile in the right direction.
im saveing for a bigger trailer with some liveing and a new veichle to tow it with.
i wish you all the best and i hope you reach your goals and live your dream you deserve,a horse.

BigGirlsRideWarmbloods 03-18-2013 05:52 PM

My advice is, DON'T. There is a reason most people sell their horses when they go to college. It's because you do not and will not have the time or money to care for it.

If you want to ride in college, join your colleges Equestrian team or horse program if they have one where horses are provided and you just pay for them like "lab fees". If your school doesn't have a team or horse program, look in to leasing a horse or a working student (work in exchange for riding) position local to your college or volunteering with a local horse rescue. Something where you have limited financial responsibilities, but a lot of flexibility.

College isn't "high school with ash trays". You cover a years worth of "high school" material in 2-3 months for every class, and EVERYTHING counts. You're up early and awake till very late and have no money for anything. Your class schedules are constantly changing location and times, you are eating nothing, and when you do it's horrible food, and this is before factoring in any health issues you already have.

Even as a junior or senior you're still slaving away but even more so as you have to start preparing for grad school or joining the work force; a work force that isn't super keen on hiring fresh graduates, especially at a wage above the poverty line. After you graduate and have a job youll barely be able to feed yourself after student lians let alone a half ton animal.

At this point in your life you may need to ride, but you don't need to own.

Unless you can guarantee a horse stability for 5-10 years, and you have savings account with 3-6 months of boarding fees and expenses for a horse emergency on top of your own emergency nest egg, it is not the time to buy.
Posted via Mobile Device

regenfliege 03-18-2013 09:11 PM

Believe me, BigGirlsRideWarmbloods, I've thought about it all. I've talked with my parents about it as well as friends who have horses and the stable owner. I WILL NOT jump into it if I won't be able to handle it, I know my limits. Like I said, if I need to wait, I will.
I've looked into the equestrian team at my school, and I can't stand the instructor and the stable. I rode there for about 4 weeks and finally left because they are focused only on winning shows and not actually caring for the horses. They are so cruel to the animals and if you don't "fit in" you are essentially ostracized. And I would have to compete, which is something I don't want to do.

I have full tuition covered, and am living at home to save more money so I will have very little, if any, student debt. And I have numerous hours of college already covered, so if I do well on my exams senior year I will probably go in as a sophomore.

I have thought things though and won't just jump into it. I can wait, but if I have a goal set I will already have that money saved if the time isn't right, meaning I won't have to start saving at a later date. It's not a "plan", just a goal :-)

regenfliege 03-18-2013 09:25 PM

Just re-read that last post, and I feel like it came off as b*tchy... I'm sorry if it did, that wasn't my intent. I'm just trying to supply some more facts (I have a scientificy mind, pretty cut-and-dry in some ways) so all of you can grt a better picture. I completely understand what you are saying, biggirlsridewarmbloods. I know college is going to be tough, no doubt about it. I know there will be ups and downs. A horse is a huge responsibility, and I know it shouldn't be taken lightly.
Again, I'm sorry if I came off like that, I really didn't mean it.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigGirlsRideWarmbloods 03-18-2013 09:29 PM

Totally understand!
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 03-18-2013 10:37 PM

You're a smart gal and it sounds like you really have it together. Having a goal is what life is about and we've all dreamed of owning a horse and making it happen.

Skyseternalangel 03-19-2013 12:00 AM

Keep a seperate bank account for your horse fund. Save more than you think you will need... because eventually you will need it :)

callidorre 03-19-2013 01:12 AM

Since you already ride and are experienced, I'm sure you already own some horse supplies that you'll need as an owner. But, perhaps think about what supplies you can buy now, without knowing the specific sizes you'll need. You can slowly build up what you'll need as an owner and can take your time getting stuff on sale/as you find it.

Things like-

Grooming supplies-brushes, hoof picks, clippers, liquids (fly spray, shampoo, etc.)

Hay bag if you're planning on trailering anywhere for trails or whatever else

Tack cleaning supplies

Tack-basic saddle pad, saddle bags/whatever english saddle setup you want to do for trails (I have a trail pad that has pockets), lunging equipment
Posted via Mobile Device

regenfliege 03-19-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by callidorre (Post 1952826)
Since you already ride and are experienced, I'm sure you already own some horse supplies that you'll need as an owner. But, perhaps think about what supplies you can buy now, without knowing the specific sizes you'll need. You can slowly build up what you'll need as an owner and can take your time getting stuff on sale/as you find it.

Things like-

Grooming supplies-brushes, hoof picks, clippers, liquids (fly spray, shampoo, etc.)

Hay bag if you're planning on trailering anywhere for trails or whatever else

Tack cleaning supplies

Tack-basic saddle pad, saddle bags/whatever english saddle setup you want to do for trails (I have a trail pad that has pockets), lunging equipment
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddle pad with pockets? We'd you get that, that sounds awesome!
Posted via Mobile Device