The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   What does your horse think is the scariest? (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/what-does-your-horse-think-scariest-156693/)

backyardhorse 03-17-2013 06:39 PM

What does your horse think is the scariest?

When we first started on the trails, of course EVERYTHING was scary! As time went on, almost all those things became a "non-issue". The only thing that consistantly freaks him out is a bicycle. It's understandable--bikes are relatively quiet, and they come up on you quickly.

waresbear 03-17-2013 06:41 PM

Strong wind that makes the trees creak. Freaks them out, probably because one winter we had a ice wind storm and 7 trees fell in their paddocks. They were fine, they must've hid out in their run in shed.

LexusK 03-17-2013 06:46 PM

My gelding is fairly bombproof, and the one time he has spooked on me it was when we walked by a bush. There was a flock of small birds that took flight out of the bush beside him and he pounced into the air, then landed and lowered his body to the ground a bit as if to say "WHO'S THERE?! I'LL TAKE YOU ALL ON!"

backyardhorse 03-17-2013 06:46 PM

Wind is surely an issue---it takes a horse's smell to a predator, and a predator's smell to them

nvr2many 03-17-2013 07:10 PM

The neighbors Demon Llama! Was not a good ride!

JaphyJaphy 03-17-2013 07:46 PM

The Evil Plastic Grocery Bag of Doom of course! :twisted:

But seriously people, stop leaving litter on the trails.

DraftyAiresMum 03-17-2013 07:48 PM

Goats. Adores the potbellied pig at the barn, but goats are demon spawn, as far as Aires is concerned.
Posted via Mobile Device

GamingGrrl 03-17-2013 07:55 PM

My mustang is convinced that ponies and foals are pure evil. Nothing else even phases him, but heaven forbid there be a Shetland beside us in the warm up ring.
Posted via Mobile Device

iRide Ponies 03-17-2013 08:02 PM

Motorbikes/Cars with shot engines. Normal cars and bikes aren't scary, even when there fast and close, but heaven forbid one starts spluttering. xD.

jamesqf 03-17-2013 11:31 PM

So far (cross fingers, knock on wood...) I haven't run into anything that scares Ellie, at least in the sense of spooking. Vehicles, mountain lions, trains, low-flying military aircraft: it's all "Ho-hum, now can we get on with this ride?" As for the flapping bags, one day I was standing outside the feed room holding an empty feed sack while talking to my friend. Felt a little tugging on it, and turned around to see her with her head in the bag up to her shoulders, calmly trying to lick up the last few grains...