The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Painting a horse trailer? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/painting-horse-trailer-156699/)

morganandme 03-17-2013 07:33 PM

Painting a horse trailer?

We got this 1997 delta horse trailer today!! But needs a full paint job we r doing it ourselves to also how to do it with what paint? Spray like they do cars or brush? I don't know!!! Haha:-)

Wheatermay 03-18-2013 01:44 AM

People do it both ways. I guess it just depends on what kind of finish your planning on doing. Matte, I'd just use a brush. But for a gloss finish, definitely a gun. I got to paint mine. Luckily my husband is great at auto body and handy with a paint gun! Not sure what color we're doing. What r u doing?I'm thinking white with big decals....

morganandme 03-18-2013 08:06 AM

I'm doing its original color a shiny silver... It's still there just dull!! Also since it has a huge door in the back I'm thinking of doing our barn name:P
We also have a paint gun to!!

morganandme 03-18-2013 08:07 AM

What kind is urs? Mine is a 1997 delta with small LQ and 2 horse straight load

Saddlebag 03-18-2013 07:18 PM

I repainted with Tremclad which doesn't use primer as it has the rust inhibitors in it (fish oil). It went on with a small paint roller. I sanded in stages and wiped with turpentine then painted the section. Not a factory job but it looks a whole lot better and it's controlling the rust. I think in the US it's called Rustoleum

Wheatermay 03-18-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganandme (Post 1942968)
What kind is urs? Mine is a 1997 delta with small LQ and 2 horse straight load

I have no idea, lol... It's new to me. I just bought it a few weeks ago. It's three different colors, haha! It's a two horse straight load with a a ramp door on the back. I like the idea of doing your barn name! :)

morganandme 03-18-2013 07:51 PM

Ya me 2!ours is KND Stables!! Do u have one?

Wheatermay 03-19-2013 02:32 AM

No, not really. Our farm used to be a big hereford farm, but then after my husband's grandfather died his brother took over with the cows and it turned to angus.... It never had a name. About half the horses we have are rescued! But that's getting off track... Anyway... I also thought of airbrushing the farm horses on there (including the pony and miniature), lol... but a friend said it maybe a little Korney.... So then I thought of just their outline.... I have no clue what to put on otherwise....

morganandme 03-19-2013 05:14 PM

I like the idea but whatif ya got ride of one! Thought of it to!! Great minds think alike!! I like also just a big outline of a horse head

Wheatermay 03-19-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganandme (Post 1959370)
I like the idea but whatif ya got ride of one! Thought of it to!! Great minds think alike!! I like also just a big outline of a horse head

No, I'm not getting rid of any! Mine are with me forever! The other horses that the rest of the family owns, I would probably buy so they dont go anywhere, lol... but I dont think they are going anywhere either.