The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Giving Bute (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/giving-bute-156700/)

Dixie Girl 03-17-2013 07:35 PM

Giving Bute

My vet perscribed Bute (round pills) to my old horse of 22. He told me a way to give it to her but I'd like to try different ways. Does anyone have any ideas?
Posted via Mobile Device

6W Ranch 03-17-2013 09:20 PM

The bute I prefer is powdered apple flavor. Last year or so our vet has ordered maple flavor, and I haven't found one yet that will take it. Huge pain. The apple flavored powder I could put on their feed and everyone I used it on liked it.

The way we give pill form bute is crush it, and put it in a cut off hose. Then, put hose in their mouth and blow it in. This is my least favorite way to administer, but at least you know they are getting a full dose at once. It's not a way I could deal with for very long, as it's a pain.

Blue Smoke 03-17-2013 09:51 PM

If I don't get bute paste for some reason, I crush the pills to a powder and dissolve in a liquid/paste of some sort to top a small amount of grain. Either apple sauce, or a tiny bit of molasses dissolved in hot water and poured over a little grain. I usually don't like adding molasses to anything, but they usually lick it right up without snubbing.

SlideStop 03-17-2013 09:55 PM

I throw my bute pills in a coffee grinder with a peppermint or two or three. The only thing is you have to clean out the extra powder or it will get sticky when damp.
Posted via Mobile Device

6W Ranch 03-17-2013 10:18 PM

**I meant molasses flavored bute powder, not maple. lol It smells bad, and all my horses turn their nose up at it & won't clean up the grain.

6W Ranch 03-17-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlideStop (Post 1942503)
I throw my bute pills in a coffee grinder with a peppermint or two or three. The only thing is you have to clean out the extra powder or it will get sticky when damp.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's a great idea. I bet Certs peppermint would work, and not as sticky. Will try it. I don't have any treat eaters, so they're going to wonder what the heck it is. lol

EvilHorseOfDoom 03-17-2013 10:23 PM

Or liquorice maybe? It's got a strong flavour and I'm yet to meet a horse that doesn't love it!

~*~anebel~*~ 03-17-2013 10:50 PM

I get the liquid form from my vet - ours is Strawberry flavored. Not a huge fan of the paste, pills or powdered forms. I like to just squirt it down the backs of their throats and be done with it.

Be careful if you (or anyone at your barn) are ever going to show that anything you use to administer the bute is not a daily use thing because it will stick around and depending on the association you (or other people) show with your (or their) horse could test positive months down the road.

Good luck!

equiniphile 03-17-2013 11:24 PM

I crush it and mix it with apple juice, which I pour over the horse's grain.
Posted via Mobile Device

faye 03-18-2013 02:38 AM

I've never had tablets before but normaly with the bute powder I chuck it in thier feed and be done with it.

For our Arab who would not eat it at al we either dissolved it in apple juice and squirted it like a wormer down his throaght or made a jam sandwich and spread it on that.