The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   I threw a saddle on him today... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/i-threw-saddle-him-today-156703/)

ApolloRider 03-17-2013 08:05 PM

I threw a saddle on him today...

I decided to throw a saddle on Apollo today to see how he reacted. I didn't sinch it up cause I still have to buy a new girth and the straps that tie it.. I don't know what those are called.

Anyway, so I let him sniff it..
I rubbed in on him, and bam I put it on his back. First time he kind of freaked out and spun around and it slid off his back(no bucking).

Waited a minute, let him sniff again... Threw it on... and... He didn't care!!!!!

We walked around the farm for about an hour stood and talked to some boarders and the BO, for about 45 minutes.. Everyone was so impressed with his training so far. I wasn't even going to try the saddle today... Glad I did!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps684c9e29.jpg

Palomine 03-17-2013 11:31 PM

Hard to tell for sure, with fence right behind withers? But looks like this saddle is going to be too low in gullet to me?

Better picture needed, but something to look at I think.

And glad it worked out, but I never want a horse to learn they can get rid of saddle.

And latigo and off billet is what you are missing, as well as girth.

Cute horse.

ApolloRider 03-17-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palomine (Post 1942671)
Hard to tell for sure, with fence right behind withers? But looks like this saddle is going to be too low in gullet to me?

Better picture needed, but something to look at I think.

And glad it worked out, but I never want a horse to learn they can get rid of saddle.

And latigo and off billet is what you are missing, as well as girth.

Cute horse.

Thank you! My b/o told me what the piece was and I forgot. I think it might be to wide of a gullet. I wanted to see if it would fit him and he was being so good today I decided to just try it on.
The other boarders thought it fit him well, but I have the same opinion as you. I can only fit one finger in there. I'm thinking about just taking it to my tack shop and asking them for one with a slightly smaller gullet to try on him. :)

Wheatermay 03-18-2013 12:53 AM

I cant tell bc of the fence either, lol... matches his color too close, lol... But if I make an imaginary line I agree with the gullet sitting low.

Horsecents1997 03-18-2013 09:23 PM

Well done! Beautiful horse!

JustImagine 03-18-2013 09:33 PM

He's absolutely beautiful! And congrats with him being so good with the saddle, that's amazing!

Foxhunter 03-19-2013 02:25 AM

I am glad he was good with the saddle. If he wasn't he could have been traumatised and as there is nothing to hold the saddle on had it fallen he might have trodden on in and busted the tree.

In many years experience it is very rare a handled horse will object to the saddle, it is usually when a girth is put on.